I'll leave before they fire me

Should I look for a new job or ride it out? I'm getting bored, the company performance is lacking a bit, and quite a few coworkers have lost their jobs as a result.

Just another "should I stay or should I go" question. I work in financial/operations analysis for a fairly large restaurant chain. Business has slacked off a good bit over the last few months and the company has had a couple rounds of downsizing. I don't feel like I'm in danger of losing my job, but it's unsettling nonetheless.

I'm also pretty bored with what I do; it's a lot of the same stuff over and over, and while I've learned a lot over the last four years I really feel bored and uninterested. When I look at my boss and what he does, I don't really see myself enjoying his position. I feel like I'd like to maybe dig into IT a little more, or maybe more quantitative finance, but I have no idea where to start or which way to go.

However, I also have the best working environment and boss I've ever had. It's a really relaxed environment, I rarely work evenings and weekends, and I really dig my coworkers. I'm also 4 or 5 months away from a couple benefits at the 5-year mark (extra week of vacation, 401k vesting, etc). Nothing huge but stuff I've been looking forward to.

The downsizing has really made me look at what I'm doing, and I feel like now is a great time to look around for something new. Should I ride it out and wait till I have more direction or a better idea of what I want to do long-term? Has anybody left a cake job that bored them and really regretted it? What aspects of this situation do I need to consider? thanks everyone.
posted by PFL to Work & Money (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There's really no reason not to at least take a look at what else there is out there, and seeing if if tempts you enough to dive out.
posted by Tomorrowful at 6:57 PM on September 16, 2008

Yeah, always keep looking. You don't have to jump ship until you've found something better (or the current ship sinks).
posted by Quietgal at 7:06 PM on September 16, 2008

It sounds like you're in a perfect position to jump, or at least consider it: you've got a benefits cliff coming up, and a sweet chunk of low-stress work to explore your options.

As Tomorrowful said, there's no reason NOT to look.

Set yourself a deadline a week prior to your benefits kicking in to make the call, and set some kind of reasonable goal, like you're going to apply for 5 jobs before that time; then do it.

You might not find your dream job in that time, but you'll have refined your interviewing skills, polished your resume, and gotten an idea of what's available to you in the market.

It takes discipline though, especially since it sounds like you're pretty comfortable in your current situation, so if you're going to do it, set clear goals and stick to them.
posted by dolface at 7:10 PM on September 16, 2008

Yes, I left a cake job and regretted it, but I regret it because of th4e job I took, not the leaving the cake job. I would look at other opportunities but only jump ship for a really good one, not just one that changes your environment. You have the luxury of being able to look and say no to jobs until the right one comes along because of your situation. Take advantage of it.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 8:28 PM on September 16, 2008 [1 favorite]

Even happy people should look around every once in a while.
posted by meta_eli at 8:57 PM on September 16, 2008

Just be aware that in this economy, if you do go to a new job you are in even more danger of being laid off (no seniority, possibly still in probationary period) than you are in current position. Certainly not saying don't look, not even saying don't jump but really assess not only how much you will like the new job but whether the position will still exist a year later.
posted by metahawk at 9:14 PM on September 16, 2008

I would look at evening classes/distance learning -- build your skills while working in a fairly undemanding job. The state of the economy and the shape of the job market will be clearer next year.

Possibly choose your new skills as something that could be used part-time. If the economy tanks then the going rate for small jobs from home will also tank, but something that might be useful to a not-for-profit could add meaning to your life if circumstances are such that you need to cling to your current job.
posted by Idcoytco at 5:58 AM on September 17, 2008

« Older Help me mathemaster   |   File my five-by-sevens Newer »