Does shirt swapping happen in any sport apart from soccer?

Does shirt swapping happen in any sport apart from soccer? At the end of soccer matches players often swap shirts with members of the opposing team. Does anything similar happen in other sports?
posted by muteh to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (14 answers total)

According to my fiance, in (men's) crew, the winning team collects the losing team's shirts.
posted by BundleOfHers at 1:52 PM on September 16, 2008

Rowing crews often swap shirts.
posted by Sidhedevil at 1:52 PM on September 16, 2008

You see it in rugby sometimes too.
posted by Paragon at 2:05 PM on September 16, 2008

I have seen it in an international hockey tournament between goalies.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 2:26 PM on September 16, 2008

If I remember my Olympics correctly, volleyball teams sometimes switch pins. I assume a country specific one for the Olympics, but I'm not sure.
posted by MadamM at 2:27 PM on September 16, 2008

For volleyball, it's not always pins (but they're the most common) but there is often some kind of gift exchanged between teams.
posted by sperose at 2:36 PM on September 16, 2008

I believe the rowing crew shirt tradition is where "To lose one's shirt" originates (just as a useless aside)
posted by legotech at 2:58 PM on September 16, 2008

in rowing, winner collects losing team's shirts. if there is more than one losing team, winning team collects all losing teams' shirts.
posted by violetk at 3:26 PM on September 16, 2008

Yep, rugby for sure.
posted by gaspode at 3:44 PM on September 16, 2008

In swimming, we'd swap caps with other people after a meet.
posted by milkrate at 3:49 PM on September 16, 2008

It happens sometimes in Ultimate Frisbee, though the post-game chant/rhyme exchange is more memorable.
posted by war wrath of wraith at 3:53 PM on September 16, 2008

At the beginning of baseball games, the managers will swap lineup cards. These have a real purpose, of course, for they determine the game's starting lineup and batting order, and you are restricted by rules to changes you make after submitting the card. For all games, but especially important games, such as the All-Star Game or World Series games, the lineup cards have significant value as memorabilia.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 5:17 PM on September 16, 2008

I came in to say what milkrate's already said. I have a Jacksonville Bolles Sharks (a very well-known and feared team) swim cap that I got after my (region-winning) high school lost very badly to them during a regular meet.

You should have seen the fear in the eyes of the other highschools when I started warming up in it at a meet Bolles wasn't "supposed" to be attending. It was hilarious.
posted by TheNewWazoo at 9:04 PM on September 16, 2008

We used to do it in dragon boat racing.
posted by ottereroticist at 11:44 PM on September 16, 2008

« Older I need a new job   |   David J Filter Newer »