Absent but not gone.
September 14, 2008 2:18 PM   Subscribe

Question from Ms. Magnakai: What should I do about absentee ballots and registering to vote from an american in the UK?

Hello. So basically I have a bit of a situation. Right now I live in the UK, and I would like to send off for an absentee ballot. However, last time I voted, I was registered in NY State. I hadn't lived there for three years, and my family is based in NJ. Would I have to register in NJ? Or could I still vote as registered in NY? I am just a bit confused.
posted by Magnakai to Law & Government (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I'm an American in the UK.
Your voting address is just about where you last *lived* in the US.

You can go here to request your ballot. They'll also guide you through this.
posted by vacapinta at 2:35 PM on September 14, 2008

It has to be the last place you lived: FAQ answer (although this website is aimed at servicepeople, I believe this applies to everyone). You'll only get to vote at the federal level anyway.
posted by Paragon at 2:37 PM on September 14, 2008

This tool should help figure it out and generate the right form to use too: Vote From Abroad.
posted by Zonker at 4:23 PM on September 14, 2008

I second Zonker, your question will have an answer at Vote From Abroad along with much more information.
posted by unclezeb at 6:45 AM on September 15, 2008

« Older Teach me how to press up into a handstand.   |   A career that lets me explore American religion? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.