Can anyone help me find some fairly chilled, beautiful music based on a few things I like?

Can anyone help me find some fairly chilled, beautiful music based on a few things I like, both for general listening and as potential wedding music?

I've recently been really taken with Somewhere over the rainbow by
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I have always hated this song, but he does such a lovely version of it. I'm really looking for some similar pieces which could be used as a wedding processional piece....I like the idea of walking down the aisle to a nice summery sounding track. Accoustic or not, doesn't matter. Any ideas? Other things I like include:

Finley Quaye - Dice
Patrick Park - Something Pretty
Youth group - Forever young
Michael Nyman - The Promise
The O'Neill Brothers - How Beautiful (for piano)

..but for one reason or another none of these are quite right (either because of the lyrics or too fussy)
posted by farfaraway to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (13 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

As a dude, I'm embarrassed to say this, but Mandy Moore's cover of Umbrella (by Rhianna) is probably along the lines of what you're looking for, and is actually a good song for a wedding, too (lyrics and all).
posted by Grither at 8:54 AM on September 12, 2008

Shine - Vienna Teng
Her other music is recommended for general listening.

Love's Divine - Seal His best of cd includes an acoustic guitar version.
posted by moonshine at 8:58 AM on September 12, 2008

Heavenly Day - Patty Griffin was my processional song. Very summery sound and lyrics.
posted by wg at 9:22 AM on September 12, 2008

Maybe mentioning somewhere over the rainbow wasn't a good idea....generally I don't go for anything nearly as cheesy as that. Really looking for something that sounds soft and mellow and isn't too powerful...The vocal in that Patty Griffin song is a little stronger than I'd like. Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Given me lots of ideas for general listening.
posted by farfaraway at 9:34 AM on September 12, 2008

Vega 4 - Life is Beautiful
Joshua Radin - Only You (there's also an acoustic version without the background "pitter-patter"), Today (the album version which has the mellow, chilled feel you are looking for)
Pretty much anything by The Weepies for general listening. You'd have to sort through lyrics to get wedding-appropriate. Maybe Gotta Have You
Rosie Thomas - 2 Dollar Shoes. The lyrics start "I put my favourite white dress on/ And my 2 dollar shoes/ Tie my hair up the way you like/ Make you see that I'm still in love with you"
posted by kitkatcathy at 9:41 AM on September 12, 2008 [1 favorite]

kitkatcathy, thank you so much for those links....I love all of them!!....some of them I think could be definite contenders for a wedding processional too, but have to listen to them a bit more!
posted by farfaraway at 9:53 AM on September 12, 2008

I love that version of 'Over the Rainbow' too, and the one other song that fills that bill for me is 'Collecting Rocks' by Super XX Man. You can get the MP3 from the Amazon store.
posted by mattholomew at 10:09 AM on September 12, 2008

Hi. I'm getting married in October and I selected the studio version of this to walk down the aisle to:

You Knocked Me Off My Feet - Sondre Lerche
posted by duckus at 10:52 AM on September 12, 2008

farfaraway, I love your pick of "Forever Young" - have you seen the music video? I think it's perfect.

The Weepies are my top suggestion, also. You might like "Painting by Chagall" and "Stars". Browse through their sophomore album, Say I Am You, which I think is their best.

Here's "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes.

Try "Heartbeats" by José González, although I'm not sure it's actually a love song.

There's "Gold in the Air of Summer by Kings of Convenience.

I love "Palimend" by Benoît Pioulard, but it's a bit dark.

Check out "Be Here Now" by Ray LaMontagne.

I'm running out of time for specific recommendations, but check out Nick Drake, Young Galaxy, Fionn Regan, Bon Iver, Carole King, Jeff Hanson, Patrick Watson, Kimya Dawson, McCarthy Trenching, Damien Rice, Josh Rouse, The Postal Service, The Shins, Amy Millan, Club 8, Jim Guthrie, David Dondero, Archer Prewitt, Julie Doiron, Jens Lekman, Mason Jennings, The Mountain Goats, Vetiver, Willy Mason, and Camera Obscura.

Really, all of these artists have wonderful discographies, so if something isn't quite perfect, dive deeper! Good luck, and congratulations!
posted by Sfving at 11:13 AM on September 12, 2008

I'm more into the electronic bent, but you should still check out Ulrich Schnauss. For a nice (low-quality bitrate) sample ...
posted by shmooly at 11:24 AM on September 12, 2008

Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1

That's what we played when we walked down the aisle. So nice.
posted by jcruelty at 2:21 PM on September 12, 2008

Happy, peppy, summery love song: "Dont Falter" by Mint Royale

Drop-dead gorgeous, stately love song: "Couldn't Love You More" by John Martyn
posted by neroli at 9:46 AM on September 13, 2008

« Older Can I fly internationally with a lead acid battery...   |   Am I tempting food poisoning? Newer »