Yes, I know it's a "brick house"...
September 11, 2008 5:48 PM   Subscribe

What is the architectural style of this private residence?
posted by Tube to Home & Garden (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Ooo, this one will be fun. It seems kind of like a modern Cotswold Cottage style.

" * Sloping, uneven roof, sometimes made of pseudo-thatch
* Brick, stone, or stucco siding
* Very steep cross gables
* Prominent brick or stone chimney, often at the front near the door
* Casement windows with small panes
* Small dormer windows
* Asymmetrical design
* Low doors and arched doors
* Small, irregularly-shaped rooms
* Sloping walls in rooms on upper floor "
posted by Liosliath at 5:55 PM on September 11, 2008

Also, this one.
posted by Liosliath at 5:56 PM on September 11, 2008

modified Tudor?
posted by arnicae at 5:58 PM on September 11, 2008

I forgot to clip this bit : "...subtype of the Tudor Revival style is the Cotswold Cottage"
posted by Liosliath at 6:00 PM on September 11, 2008

When you see houses like this listed in the real estate advertisements, "Tudor Revival" or "red-brick Tudor" (for houses that don't have faux half-timbering) is what's used. If a house has faux half-timbering, it's generally just called "Tudor" or "Tudor-style".

Is that in Shaker Heights? Because it looks familiar to me.
posted by Sidhedevil at 6:05 PM on September 11, 2008

Response by poster: Well, I didn't want to bias anyone, but then again, sometimes clues are helpful.

I was told when I was younger that it was "French Provincial", a designation I accepted for many years. Then I read a book about residential architecture, and decided that it looked more "English Tudor" to me. But my question is genuine, as I really don't know.
posted by Tube at 6:45 PM on September 11, 2008

I was told when I was younger that it was "French Provincial"

It's too asymmetrical and the roof isn't right. This is a pretty typical "French Provincial" house in US realtor parlance.
posted by Sidhedevil at 7:04 PM on September 11, 2008

well, here in the Bay Area, a realtor would call it "storybook style", because that sounds more dreamy. However, I would call it tudor, and The Field Guide to American Houses agrees.
posted by oneirodynia at 7:30 PM on September 11, 2008

Another vote for "Tudor Revival".
posted by trip and a half at 10:31 PM on September 11, 2008

In addition to storybook, you also see "fairy-tale" attached to this type. Technically, these terms really mean a more elaborate style associated with LA and the early film industry, but simpler designs were used to build many a tract home. My father put a district including many of this type on the national register.

I wouldn't feel bad about the French Provincial thing. They were popular around the same time so there's a lot of similarity in building technology. Some French Provincial houses even have the same half-timbering that is associated with the Tudor style so strongly. A big marker of French Provincial is often a round turret and a complex hip roof with gabled windows facing the street. The Cotswold, by contrast, has these asymmetrical gabled entryways jutting out from the facade. But both could have simulated thatched roofs, for example.
posted by dhartung at 10:31 PM on September 11, 2008

Arts and Crafts?
posted by Kiwi at 8:30 AM on September 12, 2008

« Older iTunes cover art for 45s?   |   Help me find that bad video please! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.