Help me fend off the shower curtain liner!

My shower curtain liner chases me while I am taking a shower. It has a few little magnets that are supposed to keep it attached to the tub, but they're not enough. What can I do?

I got a new showerhead and have a lot more water pressure now. Since then I notice that when I get in the shower, the curtain liner blows up away from the tub's edge as if it's attacking me . I'm prone to claustrophobia so this is not good!

Even though the liner has a few tiny magnets at the bottom, they no longer keep it attached. Is there any simple trick I can use to keep the curtain liner in place that won't damage the tub or cost me much money?
posted by amfea to Home & Garden (15 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You're using an iron tub? I love those things. What about the obvious: Bigger magnets?
posted by majick at 7:20 AM on September 8, 2008

Maybe a ShowerBow would help? I've not used one because my liner likes to chum up against the decorative fabric shower curtain I have on the outside whenever I shower.
posted by hecho de la basura at 7:20 AM on September 8, 2008

It's the circulating air that's causing the problem. There's a pressure difference between the outside and inside that's causing the curtain to move inward.

We either have to eliminate the differential (unlikely) or affix the curtain to withstand the force.

-get a heavier (thicker) internal liner
-get bigger magnets, ideally ones coated in plastic so that they won't mar your tub.
-aim the higher-pressure shower head to push back against the liner.
posted by Wild_Eep at 7:30 AM on September 8, 2008

Cotton liner Costly but will not chase you.
posted by watercarrier at 7:31 AM on September 8, 2008

Bigger magnets worked for me in the same situation. Make sure you get the plastic-coated ones, or you will get rust streaks running down your shower curtain and tub below the magnets.
posted by vytae at 7:32 AM on September 8, 2008

Another vote for bigger magnets, or a heavier shower curtain.
The science behind what's happening.
posted by inigo2 at 7:48 AM on September 8, 2008

bigger magnets or just plain old weights.
posted by krautland at 8:22 AM on September 8, 2008

Extra magnets, cut out from an old liner. I tape mine on with clear heavy-duty packing tape - works like a charm.
posted by chez shoes at 8:37 AM on September 8, 2008

This stopped happening to me when I started using both inner and outer shower curtains.
posted by rhizome at 8:43 AM on September 8, 2008 [1 favorite]

Cheapest solution: wooden clothespins along the bottom.
posted by matildaben at 8:53 AM on September 8, 2008

Another data point for you... I just replaced a light weight liner with magnets, that used to move occasionally, with a heavier liner without magnets. This one does not move a bit. The overall weight and stiffness of it seem to keep it in place.

Weird.

BTW, this was one of those questions I've had in my hopper for a while, but never got around to posting. Thanks!
posted by ObscureReferenceMan at 9:31 AM on September 8, 2008 [1 favorite]

When this happens to me, I just leave a 6 inch gap at the end of the shower curtain (between the end of the curtain and the wall). As long as the air can flow, it doesn't happen.
posted by blue_beetle at 10:03 AM on September 8, 2008 [2 favorites]

what blue-beetle said. open the curtain a bit.
posted by desjardins at 12:01 PM on September 8, 2008

I don't have any actual practical advice to offer but you should read Ian Frazier's "How To Operate The Shower Curtain" from The New Yorker. It's very funny.
posted by Kangaroo at 1:00 PM on September 8, 2008

We installed a hotel style shower curtain rod in our new bathroom. It's a curved rod that holds the top of the curtain outside of the rim of the tub, giving a lot more arm room in a tight space. We haven't had any problem with the curtain blowing in since. Sounds perfect for claustrophobia.
posted by Jupiter Jones at 2:13 PM on September 8, 2008

« Older Are the side effects of birth control reversible?   |   What is this nanny tax?? Newer »