What would be a reasonable web-server performance in requests/sec?

I'm running a series of load-tests against my wordpress (WAMP) blog with the apache-benchmark tool. The server is a dedicated server with 2 dual-core xeon procs. and 2gb RAM running the blog only and nothing else. I'm getting 4-5 requests/sec on average. Is this normal? What would be a reasonable performance in requests/sec? Thanks!
posted by artie to Computers & Internet (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Can you go into further details about the tests you are running? Can you test with another tool (JMeter, siege, etc.) That number sounds ridiculously low. Are you monitoring the server health while you run these tests?
posted by mkb at 11:27 AM on August 29, 2008

What is the underlying O/S, what is the DB size and what are the metrics on it ? What does disk i/o look like?

What is the load testing scheme ?
posted by iamabot at 11:30 AM on August 29, 2008

4-5 is horribly low. A relatively piggy Drupal site will run around 60. Apache, serving straight-up html files, flies at around 600-650 requests per second on various middle of the road test hardware.

What settings are you using with ab, and do you have serverside logs to show what's going on? MySQL slow query logs, etc?
posted by verb at 11:34 AM on August 29, 2008

Wordpress is famously bad at these things, see for example this post by Jeff Atwood. The links and comments provide some hints for enhancing the performance of a default wordpress installation.
posted by rpn at 11:44 AM on August 29, 2008

4-5 is very slow. WAMP indicates that it's a windows system. I won't give any words against that, but you should check network latency, whether this is in production or development mode, etc.
posted by tmcw at 11:46 AM on August 29, 2008

nthing that is a very very slow sounding number.
posted by rokusan at 11:58 AM on August 29, 2008

That's incredibly low. On a heavily loaded system with similar specs, my rather bloated uncached and busy WordPress site gets 20 requests per second (just tried). Of course, it should be higher than that, but if I get 20 visitors a second, I'll think about it.
posted by wackybrit at 12:00 PM on August 29, 2008

Use a wordpress caching plugin and php accelerator. Make sure you have an Apache and MySQL configuration appropriate for your hardware; don't blindly accept the defaults. Also, make sure MySQL's query cache is on.
posted by PueExMachina at 12:06 PM on August 29, 2008 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks to everyone who answered so far. I wanted to get an idea on what to aim for with regards to performance level, before making any changes.

the command I'm using is: ab -c 5 -t 30
the os is windows 2003 r2, the blog has around 150 posts with ~20 comment on each, and I'm also using the wp-cache plugin.
posted by artie at 12:32 PM on August 29, 2008

Why on earth are you hosting Wordpress on Windows? Not to shit on Windows, but that MUST be costing you an extra 40% a month for no benefit?

If you want to hit me off thread (metamail), I would be more than happy to talk with you about looking through what might be the cause of the problem together.
posted by SirStan at 1:48 PM on August 29, 2008

Response by poster: @SirStan, thanks I'll hit you on metamail, appreciate it.
posted by artie at 3:41 PM on August 29, 2008

Well, that commandline for the benchmark is only making 5 concurrent requests - If it takes a second for each connection to resolve DNS, establish a connection, process request, resolve any odd tasks like reverse DNS for logging purposes, and then close connection, there's why you're only getting 5 per second.

I wouldn't be surprised if -c 10 got you 7-10 per second, and -c 15 gets you 10-15, depending on your connection, latency and so on.
posted by Rendus at 5:13 PM on August 29, 2008 [1 favorite]

Here's a presentation from Barry Abrahamson (the sysadmin behind WordPress.com) on High Performance WordPress, talks a bit about server performance and metrics:

http://www.slideshare.net/bazza/high-performance-wordpress/

In addition to Super Cache mentioned earlier check out Batcache:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/batcache/

It's what we use on WordPress.com and it can easily serve hundreds of requests a second. It's much more technical than Super Cache but since you're running a dedicated server anyway it sounds like you're savvy.
posted by saxmatt at 5:28 PM on August 31, 2008 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks for all the great feedback.
I have used WP-Cache first. Here are my latest results:

STATIC PAGE    487.77 req/s
WP BLOG PAGE     0.11 req/s
WP BLOG PAGE + WP CACHE     169.30 req/s

I'll try batcache next.
posted by artie at 12:01 PM on September 3, 2008

« Older To PSW or not to PSW....   |   Speech Recognition and Recording Software Newer »