Nuanced discussions of sexuality

I want to read about sexuality.

What are some quality resources that discuss sexuality in a nuanced way? I'm particularly interested in the homoerotic thoughts and experiences of self-identified straight men, and the prevalence of such. More generally, I'm just interested in learning about sexuality from sources that avoid the discrete gay/bi/straight mode of thinking.

posted by mpls2 to Science & Nature (13 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

A classic: Foucault's History of Sexuality
posted by ddaavviidd at 4:58 PM on August 28, 2008

Spalding Gray's Impossible Vacation.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:21 PM on August 28, 2008

It sounds to me like you want to read Eve Kokofsky Sedgwick's Epistemology of the Closet.
posted by billtron at 5:25 PM on August 28, 2008

Only book on "sexuality" I've ever read is Bonk by Mary Roach. It was good fun.
posted by turgid dahlia at 5:44 PM on August 28, 2008

The above mentioned Foucault and especially the Sedgwick texts are Queer Theory 101. Any academic discussion of sexuality in literature starts there. They're excellent.
posted by Craig at 5:48 PM on August 28, 2008

i don't have a specific book recommendation, but i go to the college bookstores and see what's required reading for the sexuality courses.
posted by nadawi at 6:03 PM on August 28, 2008

The End of Gay
posted by meerkatty at 7:33 PM on August 28, 2008 [1 favorite]

You might enjoy Men in Love by Nancy Friday. It's a collection of men's sexual fantasies (although it's a bit old by now)... I am pretty sure that there are some in there that are of the sort you seek.
posted by kindall at 7:42 PM on August 28, 2008

Foucault really is the best starting point. Warning: Bring Advil. It's a bit... dense.

(It's actually easier to read in the original French. Not that I'm, um, dorky enough to have read Foucault in two languages or anything... Right.)
posted by grapefruitmoon at 8:27 PM on August 28, 2008

The Kinsey Institute is a great place to start looking for resources on modern thought about sexuality.

And of course, the original Kinsey Report Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) started a conversation about male homosexual experiences that we're still having today.
posted by minervous at 9:01 PM on August 28, 2008

Anne Fausto-Sterling's Book Sexing the Body was one of the greatest resources I've ever used to understand human sex and sexuality more. Also, I highly recommend PoMoSexuals (short for Post-Modern), a collection of works from various individuals giving more varied insight, edited by Carol Queen and Lawrence Schimel, with a great preface by the lovely Kate Bornstein who I had the privilege of meeting while an undegrad. The latter REALLY avoids the "discrete gay/bi/straight mode" you're talking about.
posted by potatopeople at 4:33 AM on August 29, 2008

Savage Love
posted by Gregamell at 5:45 AM on August 29, 2008

« Older How would you name a military startup?   |   Help assuage my health paranoia. Newer »