Join 3,561 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

2 posts tagged with terminology by Bugbread.
Displaying 1 through 2 of 2.

Related tags:
+ (21)
+ (14)
+ (6)
+ (4)
+ (4)
+ (4)

Users that often use this tag:
SansPoint (2)
ErWenn (2)
Bugbread (2)

What is the looooong high-pitched tone in old techno songs called?

In older techno tunes, it was common have a single high-pitched note held for a really long time in songs (sometimes through the entire song). Electronica has a ton of terms, from "amen breaks" to "acid", but is there a word (or are there multiple commonly used words) for that note?
posted by Bugbread on Jun 24, 2010 - 18 answers

What's the word for data transfer by carrying a drive?

What's the comedic/facetious word/phrase for extremely high bandwidth as a result of just plain carrying a disk drive? I remember reading an article somewhere that referred to the high-latency, super-high-bandwidth transfer speeds obtained by just picking up a hard drive and taking it somewhere. I was thinking it was HAN (Human Area Network), but that apparently has a different meaning. I've seen the term in more than one place, so I know it wasn't just a one-off in that article, but try as I might (and google as I might) I can't remember the term.
posted by Bugbread on May 1, 2007 - 19 answers

Page: 1