83 posts tagged with terminology.
Displaying 1 through 50 of 83. Subscribe:

Roses in Art (For a Friend)

[Question from a non-MeFi friend:]
I am looking for the name or term used to refer to a specific style/design of rose frequently depicted in Japanese and Chinese art.
[more inside] posted by KChasm on Jul 21, 2016 - 4 answers

What's the correct way of the completing the LGBT acronym?

What's the correct way of the completing the LGBT acronym? Should it be LGBTA, LGBT+, LGBTQ, LGBTI or LGBTQ+. I've seen all of them lately and I want to get this right but numerous style guides and sources offer different options.
posted by feelinglistless on Jul 13, 2016 - 10 answers

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it mean

I want to avoid pissing people off with incorrect terminology. What are some common terminology that outsiders get wrong that really grind the gears of insiders? [more inside]
posted by Mitheral on Jun 24, 2016 - 170 answers

Horse racing terminology questions

I’m translating, into English, some slogans to do with gambling on the horses, and I find I need some new terminology. [more inside]
posted by zadcat on Apr 12, 2016 - 14 answers

Sociological Term for a Narrow Sense of Self?

I need to know the sociological or psychological terminology for someone who has a very narrow sense of self concept. For example, someone who puts all their focus into one specific thing and suffers through the rest of their life to engage in clubbing or fishing or movies . . . etc. [more inside]
posted by R.F.Simpson on Nov 1, 2015 - 10 answers

What does "beats" mean, in music?

I keep hearing others referring to "sick beats", or something similar, when describing certain music tracks. Every time I ask for an explanation of what "beats" means, I get a lot of hand waving and no satisfactory answer. I always took "beat" to mean a temporal unit that defines a discrete chunk of time. For example a 4/4 will have four beats, and so on. I thought it might have something to do with the rhythm of a track, but apparently it doesn't quite mean this ("beat" might mean this, but "beats" seems to mean something different). I've tried looking on google, but coming up surprisingly thin. Is this a bullshit term, or does it have a useful meaning?
posted by spacediver on Dec 3, 2014 - 27 answers

What are the current non-offensive terms for these activities?

My kids have asked me how to say a few things in English, but I realize the only terms I know were the racist terms used back when I was a kid. What are the current, non-offensive terms for these activities? [more inside]
posted by Bugbread on Oct 29, 2014 - 43 answers

Is there a name for this musical theme?

Is there a musical term for a very quick burst of strings in a song? Popular/dance music mainly, sounds very 80s. A couple of examples inside. [more inside]
posted by derbs on Jul 4, 2014 - 7 answers

What's the term for this vocal style?

What's the term for the vocal style in the bit from 0:55 to 1:18 in this cover of Happy?
posted by stebulus on Apr 10, 2014 - 3 answers

What is meant by a "blind scramble"?

Search results indicate this term being used synonymously with "mad scramble", but also as something to do with sports tournaments. Apart from being evocative, does it mean anything specific?
posted by unmake on Apr 2, 2014 - 2 answers

What is the name for the irregular objects that break up a surface?

I've heard a term that describes the irregular objects such as boxes and antenna that are used to break up a surface (such as on a model spaceship). Apparently this can make it more pleasing to the eye then a smooth surface. An example would be the surface of a Star Destroyer in Star Wars, where it is basically a triangular prism with some big features, then a lot of small, indistinct things that makes it looks unnaturally perfect. Does anyone know what this term is? [more inside]
posted by Canageek on Sep 13, 2013 - 6 answers

Help me figure out the term for this

In popular culture, there's a "meme" of sorts involving a person helping another push someone over. I've seen it in goofy images and comics: someone kneels down on all fours behind the victim's legs (often smiling) while a person in front pushes the victim. Is there a term for this?
posted by swizzle_stik on Aug 27, 2013 - 7 answers

Names for wedding party members who are friends of both bride and groom?

So a female friend of the bride is typically called a bridesmaid or bridesmatron (or maid of honor or matron of honor). I guess you could also use brideswoman (or woman of honor) if you want to avoid the whole does-maid-mean-unmarried? issue. I've heard the term a bridesman (or man of honor) for a male friend of the bride. And if you don't want to specify the gender of the person in question, you could use bridesperson (or person of honor). A male friend of the groom is typically a groomsman (or best man). A female friend is sometimes called a groomswoman (or best woman), although I guess you could also go with groomsmaid or groomsmatron (or best maid or best matron). And again, avoiding the gender of the friend, you can have a groomsperson (or best person). But what if there's a member of the wedding party who is a friend of both the bride and groom? What do you call that person? [more inside]
posted by ErWenn on Mar 1, 2013 - 22 answers

It's a letter. It's a book. It's a floor wax. It's a dessert topping.

Is there an official term to describe this style of correspondence, essentially a single long letter written in segments over months and years? [more inside]
posted by Devoidoid on Feb 1, 2013 - 8 answers

What is this key change?

In More Than a Feeling, the chorus, a simple I IV iv V (G C e D), finished off with an Eb chord - totally not in the key - and then transitioning to em7. What is this transition to Eb, which is not at all part of the key of G, called?
posted by plinth on Jan 8, 2013 - 11 answers

Getting my math(s) right.

Maths (math) people of the US: I need your help in working out if certain British conventions would be understood or standard in the US classroom. [more inside]
posted by cincinnatus c on Jul 10, 2012 - 15 answers

Military term for deferring decision to a superior?

In the military science of Command and Control (C2), is there an official term for deferring a command decision to a superior ranking officer (i.e. non slang for 'passing the buck' or 'kicking it upstairs'). Likewise, is there a term for delegating a duty or responsibility to someone of lower rank?
posted by maya on Jun 12, 2012 - 11 answers

What is the word I need...when is an app not an app?

For android and apple mobile devices: The main page holds icons of apps. What do you call the icons within the app itself, especially if they are not links to mobile sites? Apps seems confusing. For example: ZDbox is a multi-function app for android that has, when you open it, other things you can do. Assuming that they were to look like the main page of a mobile screen, what are these things called?
posted by CodeMonkey on May 8, 2012 - 5 answers

What does the word "abstract" mean?

What does the word "abstract" mean? [more inside]
posted by internet_explorer on Jan 16, 2012 - 11 answers

Late 1800s architecture terminology question

I'm looking for an architectural term. I'm sure it's one I should know, but I'm blanking on it. To make matters worse, I'm having a difficult time searching for a picture of the feature, because I can't come up with the right term. Let me try to describe what it is. [more inside]
posted by sardonyx on Dec 19, 2011 - 9 answers

Please Help Me with a Word

Is there a common English word or a technical term that names the process of taking a page or picture from the real world to the virtual? In other words, if I took a physical page and, with a scanner or camera, turned it into a file on my computer; what would you call that action?
posted by millerizer on Oct 2, 2011 - 21 answers

What's the what on terminology around "sexism?"

A question of terminology: "sexism" and the "prejudice plus power" definition. [more inside]
posted by Harvey Jerkwater on Jul 29, 2011 - 24 answers

Harnessing without jargon?

A textbook that I once read contained a passage from some famous author (possibly Mark Twain?) that attempted to illustrate the usefulness of jargon by describing how to saddle a horse, or hitch a horse to a wagon (something like that) without using any specialized terminology. It was marvelously long-winded and impossible to follow. Textbook long since discarded, Google-Fu fails; any idea what this might have been?
posted by lordcorvid on Jul 2, 2011 - 3 answers

What parts of things do you know the names for that most people don't?

Looking for specialized knowledge of the anatomy of anything -- organic or inorganic. [more inside]
posted by nímwunnan on Mar 26, 2011 - 10 answers

Tiger Blood! It's got what Vatican assassin warlocks crave!

Have any products or industries capitalized on Charlie Sheen's rants? [more inside]
posted by dubold on Mar 18, 2011 - 10 answers

Term for Efficient Pathfinding

What is the term that describes pathways out of trampled grass made by animals or humans navigating the most efficient route? [more inside]
posted by pakoothefakoo on Feb 16, 2011 - 16 answers

Macro, Meso, ??, Micro, Nano

I need help with some terminology of scale. Is there a term for something on a scale between "meso" and "micro"? Alternatively, I'd be happy with something higher than "macro" or between "micro" and "nano" (but I'd rather avoid that one if possible). [more inside]
posted by Eumachia L F on Feb 2, 2011 - 12 answers

Help finding or coining a term

A colleague and I are writing a book chapter on social media, and we have been unable to find or make up terms for one distinction we would like to make. What is a good, compact term for 'information that is endorsed or supported by a credentialed expert on the subject or is agreed to be true by a community of experts'? [more inside]
posted by amberwb on Jan 21, 2011 - 25 answers

Train me please

So what does "train-the-trainer" really mean anyway? [more inside]
posted by RajahKing on Jan 6, 2011 - 23 answers

Not "Shock and Awe"

What's the term - I think it's military - for overwhelming an opposing force through sheer quantity of techniques used/people deployed? "Shock and awe" is not the term I'm looking for. [more inside]
posted by outlandishmarxist on Dec 25, 2010 - 37 answers

What is this type of sequence called?

TerminologyFilter - What do you call sequences that have a recursive element in interpreting them. I have a hazy memory of a letter sequence where for example each third letter had to be recited along with the letter four letters back. (Just an example, and the rule dealing with reciting could have been completely different, but it definitely had a regressive/recursive element.) [more inside]
posted by Clementines4ever on Dec 22, 2010 - 2 answers

Mirror, mirrored and mirroring in Arabic?

In Arabic, what are the words for mirroring, mirrored, mirror (the verb "to mirror" rather than the noun, if they differ), and if possible mirrorer ("one who mirrors")? I'm most looking for the transliteration but I'd also love to see the Arabic script.
posted by kalapierson on Nov 18, 2010 - 7 answers

Why doesn't the OED have better coverage of mathematical terms?

Why doesn't the OED have better coverage of mathematical terms? Is this an area they want to improve on, or have they drawn a line of obscurity somewhere that just leaves out more than I expected? [more inside]
posted by ErWenn on Oct 5, 2010 - 9 answers

Fuzzy logic? What's the term for this method of argumentation.

Is there a term for back-arguing a conclusion? I can't even find the proper words to describe the method of argumentation I'm thinking of, but I'll do my best. Someone comes to a conclusion. They then search for a justification to reach that end, working backwards and incorrectly. Here's a real life example: [more inside]
posted by Brittanie on Aug 29, 2010 - 29 answers

What is the looooong high-pitched tone in old techno songs called?

In older techno tunes, it was common have a single high-pitched note held for a really long time in songs (sometimes through the entire song). Electronica has a ton of terms, from "amen breaks" to "acid", but is there a word (or are there multiple commonly used words) for that note?
posted by Bugbread on Jun 24, 2010 - 18 answers

System Administrator or Systems Administrator?

Which job title is correct: system administrator or systems administrator? Alternatives like sysadmin are too informal and the actual job title is unrelated.
posted by theclaw on Jun 14, 2010 - 16 answers

The word "project" is really starting to piss me off

Business etymology: When and how did the word "project" get turned into an all-purpose business word? Why does it seem that "work" is now just a series of "projects." Is this word choice shifting the way business is done, or is it the other way 'round?
posted by Cool Papa Bell on Apr 30, 2010 - 5 answers

Once / When I was little someone pointed out to me

In music, is there a term for when a vocalist starts singing (solo) and then the rest of the band starts playing a bar or two later? Also, what are some other songs that use this technique? [more inside]
posted by ripley_ on Apr 15, 2010 - 15 answers

Bagpipe face?

Can any German speakers shed light on the supposed German word 'Backpfeifengesicht'? [more inside]
posted by squarehead on Feb 22, 2010 - 11 answers

You say "validation," they say "verification"....

How can I parse several largish (~6mb) text documents to produce a common index of keywords and phrases? I need something that will recognize phrases as well as key words, kind of like Amazon's Statistically Improbable Phrases. [more inside]
posted by cross_impact on Jan 15, 2010 - 5 answers

How do I set up a simple database for vocabulary terms?

How do I make a database of vocabulary terms and definitions to use for teaching? What software, settings, etc. should I use? [more inside]
posted by washburn on Dec 10, 2009 - 6 answers

Lost My GoogleFu. Boo. :)

Website Creation - What do I look for in order to find how to make a website of a particular type; the sort that is a background image with no visible links; but hovering over an item in, and then clicking over an item in, the background image acts as a link? I'm sure there's loads of instructions out there but I can't even find a site to show what I mean, letalone use search terms that return any kind of meaningful results! [more inside]
posted by DrtyBlvd on Oct 3, 2009 - 7 answers

How do I easily keep olive juice out of my Mexican Martini?

What is the shorthand to order a Mexican Martini without olive juice at a bar that inexplicably decided it was a good idea to add it to every Mexican Martini they make? [more inside]
posted by Swifty on Sep 30, 2009 - 15 answers

What do you call your cousin's cousin's cousin's kids?

I need an argument settled over the proper title for each of these relatives: (1) Your great-aunt's children, (2) Your cousin's children. Are they both called second cousin or cousin once removed, or something completely different?
posted by (bb|[^b]{2}) on Sep 19, 2009 - 20 answers

Swedish terms for genitalia "neutral"?

Which are the words that refer to the genital organs in Swedish? I've been told that Swedish has a "neutral" sexual/anatomic terminology that is neither vulgar, nor childish, nor medical/technical. "They call it like we call a nose a nose, and a leg a leg". [more inside]
posted by megob on Sep 13, 2009 - 12 answers

What are these 19th century terms?

I am working on republishing a 19th century memoir but I have come across a few terms I don't understand. Please help me figure out if they are typos in the original manuscript or real terms. [more inside]
posted by clockworkjoe on Sep 2, 2009 - 22 answers

Evolution of Disability Termiology a Class-based Struggle?

A few years ago I formulated a sociological theory about the evolution of terms used to refer to those afflicted by certain classes of disabilities, whether physical or mental, in which more functional members of the class resent being "bundled" with less functional members and are hence in a constant, mostly subconscious, quest for differentiation. This leads to development of ever more benign terms ("handicapable!") which themselves quickly become associated with the whole, therefore perpetuating the cycle. The theory seemed obvious to me when I thought of it, but I've yet to see it espoused or debunked elsewhere. Have you? Or, failing that, do you see any obvious arguments for or against it? [more inside]
posted by The Confessor on Aug 8, 2009 - 23 answers

Is there a term for "false synonymy"?

Is there a term for the fallacy of "false synonymy", where two different words are treated as if they mean the same thing? "False synonymy" sounds like a good term for it, but Google only turns up 135 hits.
posted by Dr. Send on Jul 29, 2009 - 19 answers

Which term: Bandwidth, Throughput, Download Speed, Else?

Throughput, download speed, bandwidth, or something else -- which of these am I trying to say? I can download a huge file, topping speeds of around 140 KB/s. Is 140 KB/s my maximum download speed? And isn't that speed the same for all information I can receive, or just file transfers? [more inside]
posted by Quarter Pincher on Jun 4, 2009 - 16 answers

What is the name for this type of fencing?

What is the name for this type of fence? Fairly thin metal posts with lots of tabs punched out onto which a large metal mesh can be placed (not chain link) and fastened. (And where can I get some?) [more inside]
posted by imposster on May 31, 2009 - 11 answers

Page: 1 2