Our kitchen sponge starts to smell like mildew after less than a week of normal use. We use a standard "scrubby" sponge that has an abrasive side and an absorbent sponge side. Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do about it, or do you have any general advice about keeping sponges from mildewing quickly? [more inside]
posted by ezrainch
on Aug 13, 2007 -
My father has a problem with mold and humidity in his house. It grows copiously on the exterior walls of exactly one bedroom. Condensation appears on the windows, to the extent that there is a puddle of water on the window sill every morning; and this is a year long phenomenon. (Interestingly, the area around the windows does not get moldy. )The humidity in this room is literally palpable. We pulled up the carpet today, but it was always moist to the touch, towels don't dry, etc. The walls have to be cleaned with bleach every month or two.
There is an adjoining bathroom, and we've tried leaving the windows open but it seems to have no effect. In any case, there is another bathroom in the house which in never ventilated and there is practically no mold.
At this point we need to pinpoint the source of the humidity, and why it is only found in this room. Any ideas? If you need more info just ask.
posted by zorro astor
on Jan 27, 2006 -