20 posts tagged with joboffer and resolved.
Displaying 1 through 20 of 20. Subscribe:

Help evaluating a job offer: consulting/defense contractor

They have moved very quickly: red flag? How much stock should I place in Glassdoor reviews? Is any "consultant" title a useful foot in the door to the industry? Is this uninspiring salary reasonable given my background? Intricacies below the fold. [more inside]
posted by ecsh on Nov 6, 2015 - 8 answers

Best practices for following up on a job offer?

I interviewed for a position with a big and well-known international firm. Last Wednesday I was told by the HR person that they wanted to make an offer, and that while they were having trouble meeting my salary demands, she was aiming to send an offer to me by end of the week or latest beginning of this week. Now that it's Thursday and I haven't heard anything, is it better to follow up again (and at least potentially get closure if the offer has fallen through), or sit tight and keep waiting? [more inside]
posted by ladybird on Oct 1, 2015 - 8 answers

Jump ship or hold the course

I've been with the same Organization "Alpha" for five years and have been growing more and more dissatisfied. I'm on parental leave now and they have promised me a better position to return to than the one I left. Meanwhile, the boss of Organization "Beta" called me personally and offered me a job there. Both jobs have pros and cons and I can't decide which is the way to go. [more inside]
posted by arcticwoman on Aug 3, 2015 - 11 answers

I WANT IT ALL! Help me get it?

I am hoping to receive a job offer soon, I have a lot of things I am requesting this time around - help me make this an effective negotiation? [more inside]
posted by heavyp08 on Oct 6, 2014 - 16 answers

Yes! Well...maybe.

How can I gracefully ask for more time to consider a job offer? [more inside]
posted by Asherah on Sep 22, 2014 - 7 answers

Is it okay to accept a new job that I might leave in the near future?

I have been offered a new position at work that has the potential to be a good, but not great, opportunity, but there are multiple other positions that I would like to pursue with outside organizations. Is it acceptable to take the new position knowing that there is a small chance that I would leave shortly after it began if offered a different job? [more inside]
posted by kardia on Aug 13, 2014 - 21 answers

I just need more time!

I had an interview with Firm A on Wednesday. I liked them a lot and felt very comfortable at the interview. I guess they liked me, too, because they called me on Thursday morning with an offer and wanted an answer by Friday. I was taken by surprise, and said that I needed the weekend to consider it... upon consideration, I'd really like a week. What is the best way to ask for more time without jeoprodizing the offer? [more inside]
posted by Kriesa on Sep 14, 2013 - 10 answers

Negotiating a Job Offer

I have been offered a position with a company but they have low-balled the offer and downgraded the title (in my opinion). I have drafted an email response (which he encouraged since he is on vacation) and would love for the awesome brain trust to offer some thoughts! [more inside]
posted by Snackpants on Jun 7, 2013 - 6 answers

Wow, thanks for the offer, but I'd rather not work at all...

Have you, or do you know anyone who has, purposefully not taken a job at the end of a contract, in order to build skills in other areas, and been ok with a gap in work history? Snowflake details: I'm currently working on a contract for a large company, and I'm reaching the end-date for my contract. The current job itself is not my dream job, and is not very fulfilling, but it's paid the bills and the company looks good on a resume. I now have been offered another contract position, year-long, at a different large company in the area. However, I would be doing work that would be even less fulfilling, I'm afraid to the point of being mind-numbing. But the pay is good. Should I take the year-long contract for the money? Thinking about the job itself is enough to give me that anxious sick feeling. [more inside]
posted by lockstitch on Mar 24, 2013 - 6 answers

Is this an offer I'd be a fool to refuse?

I am a senior undergraduate biology student who wants to become a conservation biologist and a professor. I work part-time in a lab at my university, and my principal investigator recently made me an offer that on the face of it seems pretty great. Should I take it? [more inside]
posted by Scientist on Sep 24, 2012 - 28 answers

Navigating Big Life Decisions while wearing depression-colored glasses

How do I handle a job offer that I really want but am really intimidated by while going through a period of depression and social anxiety? (Sorry in advance about the avalanche of special snowflakey details) [more inside]
posted by sarahj on Jan 16, 2012 - 22 answers

"A bird in the hand" doesn't quite apply yet

Help me think clearly about a potential offer for a job I'm ambivalent about. [more inside]
posted by missix on Jan 15, 2012 - 16 answers

I wanted strawberry jelly but now you've brought out lime jelly as well ...

After a period of redundancy (thanks, ConDems) I am being swamped with job offers (well, two). How do I deal with this? [more inside]
posted by Martha My Dear Prudence on Dec 22, 2011 - 10 answers

How to best clarify salary expectations

A friend recently got a job offer, yay! When she spoke with the hiring manager at the time of the initial offer, she was told she'd receive a certain amount of money, with a percentage raise after the first year. But when she received the formal offer letter, the letter specifies only the first year salary, and says nothing about a raise. Should she say something to the hiring manager? Any suggestions on how she might phrase her concerns?
posted by lesli212 on May 17, 2011 - 11 answers

How to be supportive of my SO with job offer anxiety issues?

How can I help my SO keep his cool while waiting to hear about a job interview? [more inside]
posted by ShadePlant on Oct 29, 2010 - 18 answers

Accepted a job, haven't started, don't want to anymore.

This all happened in a week - I verbally accepted a job offer from A company at the beginning of this week on the agreement that I bring in the rest of the signed contract next week when I start. Since then I've had an interview with B company (I applied to B before I accepted A) and received another offer which I prefer. I think I want to take up B's offer, what do I say to A company? I know it's bad practice, is there anyway to make it better? [more inside]
posted by doobiedoo on Jun 30, 2010 - 14 answers

Help, I've been lowballed

The employer and I agreed on a salary range. Then they offered 10K less than the minimum of the range we had agreed on. WTF? [more inside]
posted by ladybird on Jun 11, 2010 - 40 answers

Do I need to disclose near-term plans?

What are the ethical implications (if any) of taking a job with no intentions of staying with the company long-term? [more inside]
posted by ista on May 15, 2010 - 21 answers

Will Company A wait for me while I interview at Company B? (3-4 weeks from now?)

I am likely to soon get a job offer from Company A. Yesterday, Company B called to schedule an interview for a few weeks from now. I would prefer to work at Company B, but if I didn't get the job, I would want to work at Company A. How do I handle this delicate situation, seeing as we're talking about almost a month until I would have an answer from Company B? [more inside]
posted by inatizzy on Nov 25, 2008 - 11 answers

Too paralysed by indecision and fear to make up my mind whether to accept a job offer.

Seeking advice on whether to take a job, and experiences of those who did or didn't accept job offers. [more inside]
posted by paduasoy on Feb 28, 2007 - 6 answers

Page: 1