Join 3,561 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

42 posts tagged with job and offer. (View popular tags)
Displaying 1 through 42 of 42. Subscribe:

Do I actually have a job?

Someone please share some experience so I can stop worrying and get some sleep. I received a tentative offer from a federal agency. I then received an email asking for my preferred start date so they can send a confirmation letter. I responded, haven't heard back for a month. I sent an email to check in but haven't heard back for a week. [more inside]
posted by inevitability on May 15, 2014 - 17 answers

A Job Offer with a Fee?

I just received a job offer yesterday at the place of business that I temp at. It requires that I stay there for at least one year, or else I must pay a fee. I like the thought of having full-time work with benefits and am very thankful, but I don't feel that I fit in the city I'm in currently and didn't see myself staying for another year. But I have to be careful about any risks I take with leaving my job because I don't have a family (as they were abusive) or anyone to rely on financially should things go south. Is this a good deal? Should I take this job? [more inside]
posted by independence under the radar on Dec 3, 2013 - 28 answers

What would you do?

My brother needs a bit of an advice as he is faced with two job offers one of which he has accepted.But... [more inside]
posted by ladoo on Oct 16, 2013 - 14 answers

Problem with providing proof of a past employment for a new job

In order to accept a job offer I have to provide documentation as proof of a past employment. Problem: I don't think there is any. What should I tell the company who have offered me the new job? Can documentation for an old job be acquired 6 months post-leaving? [more inside]
posted by Lubo on Sep 21, 2013 - 10 answers

Can Two Jobs Lead To None?

I got an amazing job offer. I don't really want it. Is it wise to leverage it against my current employer? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Sep 19, 2013 - 32 answers

Chooseing between two very good, very close job offers..

Chooseing between two very good, very close job offers.. [more inside]
posted by audio on Mar 6, 2013 - 10 answers

How to navigate the tricky waters of possible multiple job offers?

I'm a UI/UX designer who is flat broke and unemployed. I'm independently interviewing for 2 positions at the moment and have 3-4 other positions that I have or am about to interview for through a recruiter. Some are temporary, some are temp-to-perm, and some are permanent. Some are also more interesting to me than others, including one that I'm most interested in which I've been waiting to hear back from for the past week or so. However, the temporary positions (2-4 weeks) have more immediate needs and are more likely to lay something on the table in the next few days if they end up giving me an offer. My question is: If I get a call that says "We'd like to offer you the position", how do I respond without an immediate yes and still be in consideration? [more inside]
posted by gregoryg on Feb 26, 2013 - 6 answers

Job offer situation is stressing me out. How do I handle this?

Job offer situation is stressing me out. How do I handle this? [more inside]
posted by audio on Feb 9, 2013 - 4 answers

Is this an offer I'd be a fool to refuse?

I am a senior undergraduate biology student who wants to become a conservation biologist and a professor. I work part-time in a lab at my university, and my principal investigator recently made me an offer that on the face of it seems pretty great. Should I take it? [more inside]
posted by Scientist on Sep 24, 2012 - 28 answers

How do I survive an exploding offer?

2 Interviews, one exploding offer. How do I negotiate? [more inside]
posted by gensubuser on Jul 30, 2012 - 11 answers

Go with current local job offer, or wait for possible second in other state?

I just got a good local job offer here in the midwestern US, but there's also the possibility of an offer from a company out on the west coast. While I have been pining to move out west for a while, I feel it more likely than not I'd end up accepting the first company's offer. Should I drop out of the second company's search? [more inside]
posted by Hither on Jun 14, 2012 - 8 answers

Maybe they have granted my every wish

Is it ever ok not to negotiate? [more inside]
posted by Tandem Affinity on Apr 26, 2012 - 24 answers

Tell me how to ask for much more

What are the words I should use in my salary negotiation? I know what I want and my alternatives, etc. However, I'm going to be asking for a significant percentage increase over the initial offer, and it feels uncomfortable. Give me a script! [more inside]
posted by rainydayfilms on Mar 18, 2012 - 21 answers

How long is too long?

Academic Jobs Filter: What is a reasonable amount of time to ask for to make a decision about a job offer? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Feb 23, 2012 - 11 answers

Regret, turned down job offer, Will the hiring manager consider me for future openings?

Regret of declining a job offer, I want to know how the Hiring Manager perceived me? Will I be considered for future opportunity? [more inside]
posted by msconfuse on Nov 11, 2011 - 4 answers

Job offer help needed

Help with job offer question needed asap! [more inside]
posted by and hey Charlie on Sep 21, 2011 - 15 answers

How do I quit a job I just started?

How can I make time to interview for new jobs after just taking a job that I don't like? And, how do I explain to new companies why my availability to interview is so limited? [more inside]
posted by daveindc on Aug 13, 2011 - 8 answers

The rules for job offers

Job offer ethics and protocol: I don't want to break the rules, but I don't know what the rules are. [more inside]
posted by Chicken Boolean on Jul 7, 2011 - 17 answers

Parallel job application etiquette

I have a job offer with a deadline, but I'd like to apply elsewhere. How should I manage the process? [more inside]
posted by jeatsy on May 30, 2011 - 11 answers

How highly should I value my management experience?

I have a new job offer with a company that will pay a bit better than I manage now. The new company is likely to be a better working environment as well. However, the new job would be a step down from a manager/supervisor role into more of a coordinator role. How highly should I esteem my current manager title/responsibilities? Enough to reconsider a move to a role that feels like a better fit in most other ways? [more inside]
posted by owls on May 23, 2011 - 6 answers

How to best clarify salary expectations

A friend recently got a job offer, yay! When she spoke with the hiring manager at the time of the initial offer, she was told she'd receive a certain amount of money, with a percentage raise after the first year. But when she received the formal offer letter, the letter specifies only the first year salary, and says nothing about a raise. Should she say something to the hiring manager? Any suggestions on how she might phrase her concerns?
posted by lesli212 on May 17, 2011 - 11 answers

Job Bait and Switch, Wrong doing to my wife and I'm stark raving mad

Job Bait and Switch, Wrong doing to my wife and I'm stark raving mad. Understood YANML. [more inside]
posted by Haujobbin on Jan 17, 2011 - 10 answers

That's what I want

JobFilter: Interview jitters... do I ask or do they offer? [more inside]
posted by I_Love_Bananas on Nov 15, 2010 - 13 answers

It's not that I'm flaky, it's that here isn't right.

What to do about multiple job offers when you've accepted one, and are a special snowflake. [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Jul 1, 2010 - 10 answers

Is negotiation the best option?

Would I be greedy if I tried to make a salary counteroffer without any real reason? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Apr 18, 2010 - 9 answers

"In this economy?!"

Job Offer Dilemma: Do I take this offer? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Mar 28, 2010 - 12 answers

Take the job offer or stay?

I need some unbiased feed back....I went on job interview on a whim. Turns out the hiring manager liked me a lot and I got a job offer the next day. The offer included a hefty pay raise with bonus potential. The job is similar in scope with some more responsibility and the potential for good growth. But the health insurance/dental/vision benefits are not great, but all other benefits are similar. The new position is salaried, my current is hourly. [more inside]
posted by burlsube on Mar 25, 2010 - 17 answers

How long do you need to consider an employment offer (in the US)?

What timeframe do you need to consider and respond to an employment offer (in the US)? [more inside]
posted by mockjovial on Jul 14, 2009 - 12 answers

Should I go work for one company (1-2 month) while waiting for another company's offer?

Should I accept the offer from company "A", knowing full well that I would go work for company "B" in 1-2 month? I'm sure 99% that B's offer will come, but should I do this as a way of hedging my bets? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on May 15, 2009 - 23 answers

Will Company A wait for me while I interview at Company B? (3-4 weeks from now?)

I am likely to soon get a job offer from Company A. Yesterday, Company B called to schedule an interview for a few weeks from now. I would prefer to work at Company B, but if I didn't get the job, I would want to work at Company A. How do I handle this delicate situation, seeing as we're talking about almost a month until I would have an answer from Company B? [more inside]
posted by inatizzy on Nov 25, 2008 - 11 answers

A great problem to have

What factors do you look at when considering multiple, simultaneous job offers? [more inside]
posted by NotMyselfRightNow on Sep 1, 2008 - 23 answers

How do I negotiate my new salary?

What strategy should I adopt to clarify and hopefully increase this job offer? [more inside]
posted by matholio on Jun 2, 2008 - 2 answers

Changing my mind on a declined job offer

I was offered a job four weeks ago, and declined it mostly due to overwhelming anxiety that stopped my brain from thinking logically. I think I made a mistake. What's the protocol for calling and asking if the job is still available and if they would consider me again? [more inside]
posted by megancita on Apr 1, 2008 - 12 answers

Job offer ... do we take it or not?

my SO has gotten a great job offer in another state, it's a great opportunity for him... but the timing is less than perfect. Do we take it? (more details inside) [more inside]
posted by finitejest on Feb 7, 2008 - 15 answers

Juggling job offers?

Juggling job offers? (wordy, follow-up) [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Nov 7, 2007 - 6 answers

How can I capitalize on a job offer I received but won't accept?

How can I capitalize on a job offer I received but won't accept? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on May 8, 2007 - 18 answers

Is this normal?

Job offer timing--is this normal? Are they trying to screw me over? [more inside]
posted by phoenixy on Apr 25, 2007 - 17 answers

Job Interview - Salary & Benefits Discussion

Finding Salary Information for Internet Project Management work. [more inside]
posted by gov_moonbeam on Feb 24, 2007 - 5 answers

Job offer basics

What are things I need to know to ask and say when I receive a job offer? And, conversely, when I don't? [more inside]
posted by messylissa on Jan 14, 2007 - 19 answers

Is it wrong to quit a new job if another offer comes through?

Is it wrong to quit a new job if another offer comes through? [more inside]
posted by anonymous on Feb 2, 2006 - 17 answers

Job negotiations

I've got a job offer out of state, but I'm not quite ready to move the whole family. Does anyone have suggestions on how to negotiate a "commuting" setup? I'm in the southwest and the job is in the southeast.
posted by anonymous on Dec 13, 2005 - 7 answers

Bad timing!

A job in hand... I graduated from Portland State University's School of Business a week ago, and I've had a healthy number of interviews since I graduated. I interviewed on Monday for a position I'm really interested in -- and unfortunately, they told me today that they wouldn't get back to me until after next week, since they're still talking to candidates as of today and the hiring manager is taking a vacation next week. In the meantime, I have accept/decline decisions that need to be in *before* then for other jobs that will pay just as much, but won't be as challenging, interesting, or use all of my skills. So, is a job offer in hand really worth two that are still off in the aether, or should I hold out for the one I really like? [more inside]
posted by SpecialK on Jun 18, 2004 - 7 answers

Page: 1