How to get our unemployed and non-insured neighbors to pay for car damage? Our downstairs neighbors (we split a house) are borrowing an (uninsured) car from their friend over the summer. After getting super drunk early Mon, they somehow barrelled out of the garage, hitting our car and (we think) another car parked in the street. They didn't confess to hitting our car until we approached them with evidence and long after I had already filed a hit-and-run report.... [more inside]
posted by ch3ch2oh
on Jul 9, 2014 -
What do I put on a car insurance quote form? I am moving (NJ/NY/CA), changing jobs, and going through at least 3 unique stages of driving frequency/behavior over the next few months. And it really feels like most of this isn't the insurance company's business.
But clearly I need to put *something* in each field. :) Help? Here are my facts, what parts of this should be put into the form?
1) I've worked full time in NY for just over a year now
2) I am unemployed between now and the end of June and for most of August
3) I have a full time, residential job in NY during July
3) I'm interviewing for jobs in CA that will begin in late August/early September and have already gotten at least one offer. But I haven't made the choice yet and won't for at least another month.
1) I've lived in NJ for just over a year now
2) I'm buying a used car from a friend in NC (my home state) next week
3) But I'm moving to CA and the car will be parked in CA starting in July
4) I myself will be in NY for the duration of July
5) I will begin renting and driving in CA in August
1) Between June 1st and June 30th, I'm doing quite a bit of inter-state driving, although not all at once.
2) I'm parking the car and not driving it at all in July
3) I'm using the car to commute in CA in August and beyond [more inside]
posted by ch3cooh
on May 20, 2014 -
Should I call or not.. This is driving me crazy... I really don't want to mess up my perfect driving/insurance record and don't want higher rates. I've also heard horror stories about Progressive, and am hesitant to call. This is in Nj
, and I have liability only
. [more inside]
posted by rushtickt0ck
on Feb 1, 2012 -
My car was rear ended last night and it's starting to look like the guy who hit me does not have a driver's license or insurance. So I'm not really sure what my next move is. [more inside]
posted by dhammond
on Nov 13, 2011 -
I need to add my wife to my auto insurance policy. How can I do this in a way that reduces the chance that the insurer will obtain an updated copy of my driving record? [more inside]
posted by anonymous
on Apr 15, 2010 -
If I pay out of pocket for repairs to another driver's car, is there a form I can ask him to sign to prevent later involvement of insurance companies? [more inside]
posted by ecsh
on May 26, 2009 -
I was pulled over the other night after making a right turn at a stop sign. I believe i came to a complete stop but believe the officer could not properly see the sign or intersection from where he was standing. ( they seemed to be pulling lots of cars over: i watched three get pulled over in the short time i was stopped)
How can i decide whether to contest this case? In my mind the key variables are: keeping a clean driving abstract so my insurance rates don't go up versus the hassle of going to court and potentially losing the case ( i am planning to photograph the site to see how strong my evidence looks and don't know yet).
How would i discover whether this would affect my rates?
In hawaii. Geico is the insurer
posted by dougiedd
on Jun 23, 2008 -
I need to be in Sheffield, UK over Christmas (from evening Christmas Day until the day after Boxing Day). I don't have a drivers licence or a car. The only way I can think to accomplish this would be to learn to drive in the time between now and then, buy a cheap car on eBay (a Volvo?), get it insured and hit the highway. [more inside]
posted by dance
on Aug 22, 2006 -
Tomorrow me, my girlfriend, and her dad are going tp pick up my girlfriends new car. She hasnt passed her test yet, so i'll be driving it back. Ive been driving for 6 years, never had an accident, and have fully comp insurance. Can I legally drive it? [more inside]
posted by lemonfridge
on Mar 31, 2006 -