Asking for a friend: Two times in the past six months, my oven/stove and a spot near my refrigerator (several feet away) have smelled *very strongly* of some petrochemical, like benzene or kerosene or gasoline or something sweet and fuelly like that (i.e., not natural gas, not propane). There is a similar, faint, lingering odor in the oven. What could be causing this? Some kind of propellant in the gas lines? Illicit neighbor activity? If it helps, I'm on the 4th floor of a 6-floor building in NYC.
Recommendations for appliance repair in/near Madison, WI? [more inside]
I have a gas stove in good condition that I want to get rid of. Salvation Army's donation pickup line in my area (Boston) never answers my calls and never returns my messages. What other options do I have? Also, I was told by the stove salesman that selling the stove wasn't a good idea because I'd be liable if the purchaser hooked it up wrong and poisoned or exploded themselves. Is this true, or was it just FUD?
Should we look into compact dishwashers and portable gas stoves for our newly rented flat? [more inside]
Is anyone familiar with Elmira stoves, especially the Northstar? My mother wants to know if they are anything special besides the obvious retro-charm appeal. My instinct is to tell her if she is going to spend this much to buy a Wolf, which is a fraction of the price. I think if the Elmiras are as well-performing as Wolfs or Vikings she might want one regardless of the cost. (I found this, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.) [more inside]
My new gas range is breaking my heart. WTF is wrong with it? And if it is a goner, should I bother trying to replace it with another gas range, or give up and switch to electric? [more inside]
My husband and I cook a lot. We're moving from an apartment with a decent gas stove/oven to one with a crappy electric stove/oven. Obviously, Something Must Be Done. Should we go for gas or induction? [more inside]
We just moved in to a new apartment with a gas stove/range. When we run the oven, even though the pilot light is lit and it heats up, there is a strong gas smell. We freaked out and turned it off but is this dangerous? Is it possible that it just smells of gas right away but it would dissipate in a few minutes? I would call the landlord right away but we already called with a laundry list of problems today so I'd like to avoid a follow up if at all possible.