My parents just inherited my grandmother's house, a burden they are not happy with. At first they were worried they would have to keep the house for the time being and hire a realtor to get it sold - they are not in a place to take on the cost of a second house, even if it is just temporary. Now suddenly out of the blue, a relative of my grandmother calls and offers the services of her step-son, someone who pays cash for houses and fixes them up. I'm a little suspicious and want to check that this isn't a scam. [more inside]
I have a house that I need to sell. It's currently occupied, and the tenants really love living there. I don't want to ask them to move out until I close, both because I need the rent to pay the mortgage until I sell, and because it's just mean to ask them to move out in winter (they've got two little kids). So I'm going to put it on the market while occupied. Are there any best practices here? [more inside]
I recently purchased a house. The deed was recorded back then and the initial flurry of "you should buy our security system, new homeowner!" junk mail has stopped. After a few weeks of quiet in my mailbox, I'm now receiving individual letters asking to buy my house. None of them has quoted a price, nor do I really want to sell. I usually just e-mail the address on the letter saying "make me an offer and maybe." Should I do anything else? [more inside]
Give me your best home selling tips and tricks. [more inside]
I have a relative attempting to sell her house in Vermont. She has a realtor but finding an appropriate buyer is going to be tricky for a number of reasons. Are there any good "alternative" ways to market a house above and beyond what the realtor is doing? [more inside]
Moving out of town on short notice, house to sell, tenants etc. Advice? [more inside]
A month from selling our house, and we found out we have an oil tank leak we need to clean up before we leave. Costs could be up to $10,000. Anything we can do? [more inside]
My husband and I own a small house, and were originally planning on moving early next year. We got some good news over the holidays and I am now nearing the end of the first trimester of my first pregnancy. We'd still like to move, but is it easier to do this while I'm pregnant or should we wait until the baby is 6 months old? [more inside]
Circumstances changing! Some financial help and advice needed! [more inside]
To self-list or not not self-list ... this is the question. Do we list by ourselves thru a discount broker on MLS and use an realtor to help us find a new house or do we go ahead and list thru a standard broker that will do both and pay them the extra % in commission. Details inside. [more inside]
Kitchen Renovation Question. Do we buy countertops like we're gonna maybe get stuck here, or do we buy countertops like we wanna spend significantly less money? [more inside]
Help me pull the trigger on buying our dream house! [more inside]
We want to move. We've decided to stay in Omaha. I found a house that is a REAL bargain. So I need you, dear mefites, to help me measure the pros and cons. [more inside]
We've decided to move. We currently live in Omaha, NE and are considering moving to Cedar Rapids, IA, where I grew up, because greatschools.org indicates that the schools there kick ass compared to Omaha and vicinity. (Our kids are 3 and 1, so we've got time, but you know... no time like the present.) We're still a little conflicted about whether to go to CR or not, but I'll save that question for next week. This week's question IS: what should we do to our house to get it ready to sell? [more inside]
How can I sell surplus stock in North America? [more inside]
Landlords are selling the house we are in and we would like to know what to expect from the coming months. [more inside]
What should I watch out for when I sell my own home? [more inside]
We just sold our house and moved out. I dismounted my front and rear surround speakers from the ceiling and packed them up. The realtor called to apologise for not going through this properly but I have to give them back. Recourse? [more inside]
Question about when is the best time to put a house on the market... [more inside]
Question from a first-time house seller. My wife and I recently bought our second home without having sold the first. Although we and our agent feel that the house for sale is priced extremely reasonably and appropriately, it's been on the market for five months now. We have the financial capacity to continue paying for both houses indefinitely, with no need for a bridge loan, so that's not the issue per se. The question is, however, at what point does this process become an unacceptably bad deal, financially, and how do I calculate that? Or has it passed that point already? In other words, do the past five months of payments on the first house essentially represent money down the drain? Say each monthly payment on the house that hasn't sold (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities) comes to $2K. Does that effectively mean we might just as well have set the price $10K less five months ago? In which case we should be dropping the price now, and each month from now on, in an effort to stop the bleeding? I don't notice other sellers dropping their prices with every month that goes by, but the fact remains that since we've only owned the house for four years, we're building up practically no equity each month to "recover" when it finally sells. So it seems like the money's just evaporating. Maybe we get to deduct the taxes and interest from our income tax (or maybe not), but even if we do, it seems to me that there has to be a mathematical point at which it becomes pure damage control. And we may already be well past that point. I know we're not the only people who've ever been in the position of carrying two houses for a few months--it must happen all the time--I'm just not sure what the conventional wisdom is on handling the situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm going crazy trying to sell my house. It's been on the market for a little over 60 days now, which I know isn't unreasonable, but it's making me nuts. Any suggestions on getting it to sell faster without lowering the price? Ridiculous superstitions welcome.
So let's assume I own a house in MD. It's completely empty, clean, and requires no beautification. The catch is, I don't live anywhere near MD. What's the best way to find a buyer since I can't show the place myself?
So yesterday my wife — Ms. We're-Not-Moving — found a house closer to Portland that she loves. We both love it. The only offer we can make, though, is contingent upon selling our home, which we hadn't even considered until yesterday. Help! Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? What can we do to make a contingency offer more attractive? What about bridge loans? Anyone have experience with those? I need advice on hurried real estate transactions (other than "don't do them").
Any tips on selling a house? [more inside]