I don't trust my gut
August 22, 2008 11:37 AM Subscribe
Should I take the job or hope I get another offer?
posted by PinkButterfly to work & money (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I've been thinking about this for a few days and I'm not really sure what to do.
I am a journalist and was offered a full-time position, which I have to accept or decline by today. As you may have heard, the journalism industry is a mess right now with lots of people getting laid off, papers shutting down, etc. Jobs are pretty hard to come by.
The job I was offered is fairly low-paying and since this would be my first full-time gig (I have been freelancing and interning) I am afraid that if I start out with a low-wage it will be harder in the future to command more money from employers.
I have consulted some mentors (professional journalists) and their advice has been to a.)try and negotiate for more money, though the company that owns the paper recently laid off a lot of people and the editor said he doesn't have much flexibility in terms of the pay, b.) take the job since I am fortunate to even have an offer and considering we are heading into the end of the year, my chances of getting a job don't look good for the rest of the year.
My reservations are:
1. money: the job is in an expensive area (Bay Area) and I'm not fond of Ramen
2. location: My family is from another part of the state and I worry about my parents, who have both recently found out they had medical issues
I have reservations about the company and being a journalist at all...but I don't really have a backup career plan either. Friends have told me to "follow my heart" but that advice gets a blank stare from me. I don't trust my intuition/heart. I think emotions lead you to make terrible decisions sometimes and you can't trust your gut. Part of that line of thinking is due to my recent uncertainity about whether or not the religion I was raised under is even true at all....
My pattern, generally, with tough decisions is to procrastinate until the decision is made for me (as in, I wait too long to be able to act at all) because I don't trust my decision making skills. I don't want to do that again and I don't want my decision to be colored by anxiety, fear, or (possible) depression that I may have (probably evident in my past questions).
It's possible I could get another job that pays more and is closer to my family and with a stronger company...or it could be 6 months from now and I'm still without a job. I just finished my internship and I'm staying with my parents, as I was before the internship.
There are many factors at play here and I just really don't know which way to go. I don't feel strongly about anything (could be the slight depression?) but I know I need to do something.