My girlfriend has expanded her theater management business, hired some employees, and wants to have a file server, have a firewall, and have remote access to the office network. Can I do all this with a Dell PowerEdge 500Mhz PIII? If so..
So I'm thinking to install FreeNAS
and add m0n0wall
The server has:
- 4 17.5 GB 10,000 RPM SCSI discs
- one 8.5GB IDE drive
- an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI card
- 2 wired NIC's, one is 10/100/1000 Mbps and the other is 10/100Mbps
- 256MB of PC100 ECC RAM
There are 5 full time users of the network who run:
- one running Windows 2000 on a desktop and XP on a laptop
- one running on an Apple laptop
- one running an XP desktop and an Apple laptop
- two running an XP desktop and XP laptop
There are 2 printers that connect directly to the network. I have some switches and a wireless router I'll run behind this thing. They do most of ther work in MS Office & Outlook.
I'll install the OS on the 8.5 GB IDE drive, I'll use the SCSI discs in a RAID 1+0, i guess and use the gigabit card as the WAN interface and the slower card as the LAN interface.
I've never done anything like this before. This is what i've worked out to do, but please let me know what else to consider and where to revise.
Additionally, how do I limit some of her employees access to some of the files through a policy rather than a file by file chmod or whatever? Also, should I get more RAM?