What's the best way to transport motorcycles?
August 19, 2008 2:46 PM Subscribe
I'm taking two motorcycles on vacation. Should I use a trailer or put them in the bed of my pickup?
posted by electroboy to travel & transportation (11 answers total)
So here's the stats:
1997 Toyota Tacoma 2WD
towing capacity - approximately 3500 lbs
payload capacity - undetermined, but probably around 1000lbs
Bikes - 1993 BMW K75 (~500 lbs), 2003 Ninja 250R (~300lbs)
Here are some of the complications:
1. I've never towed anything with this truck. It's got a bumper hitch and hookup for the lights, but I'm unsure of the bumper hitch capacity.
2. I've put both bikes in individually with no problem, but not both together, which I'll try tomorrow.
3. I'll be in the Adirondacks, which means hills. Not terribly steep, but hills nonetheless.
4. It definitely rides lower with the K75 in the bed, but nothing too serious. Shocks/springs are generally good.
5. The K75 is significantly heavier than the Ninja. Approximately 1 fat guy heavier.
6. Cargo space is not really an issue. We should be able to fit our stuff in the bed even if the bikes are there.
7. Riding the bikes there isn't an option, since the wife is still learning to ride and it's ~600 miles.
So the questions:
1. Truck or trailer?
2. Will the weight difference cause any issues? Any way to mitigate this?
3. Is it safe to use the bumper hitch for ~1000 lbs (bikes + trailer)?