Insert Jewish Pirate Joke Here

Any recommendations for a movie to show my Jewish youth group (grades 8-12), when we meet on Talk Like a Pirate Day? Bonus points if it's either a) Depp-free, and/or b) tangentially related to the themes of the high holidays. I love my job.
posted by ericbop to Religion & Philosophy (19 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Pirate movies.
posted by meerkatty at 2:01 PM on August 19, 2008

I am the least film-familiar person in the world, but what about a movie that explores the virtuous-outcast-Robin-Hood-like characteristics of the main characters? Or how outsiders can be perceived as violent/terrible people until people get to know them?
posted by mdonley at 2:02 PM on August 19, 2008

The original Treasure Island is pretty awesome. As was the animated series Pirates of Dark Water. Can't think of any links to the high holidays, though. Pirates are generally pretty goyisha.
posted by electroboy at 2:02 PM on August 19, 2008

Oops, based on meerkatty's link it looks like that's not the original. Still a great movie though. Also it looks like the Three Stooges made a pirate movie, so there you go, pirate jews.
posted by electroboy at 2:07 PM on August 19, 2008

Apparently Jean Lafitte's mother was Sephardic, so maybe something about him...?
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 2:09 PM on August 19, 2008

Hey, Jean Lafitte (aka the Corsair) was Jewish and ran an entire pirate "kingdom" in LA. Well, ok, of of Jewish heritage at least. And Yul Brenner played him in the movie.

On preview, what the empress said.
posted by clerestory at 2:12 PM on August 19, 2008

Depending on the general level of mehness and whateverocity of your crew, they might not be down with The Pirates of Penzance. It's super campy, though, so you might want to avoid it if you're worried they'll think it lame.

Possible discussion question: How the HELL does Kevin Kline sit like that?
posted by SpiffyRob at 2:14 PM on August 19, 2008

'Course, Moshe Dayan had a pretty wicked eye patch...
posted by ph00dz at 2:15 PM on August 19, 2008

Although actually, I guess the Brenner movie might not be great, as apparently they strip out his Jewishness. :(
posted by clerestory at 2:15 PM on August 19, 2008

Not a movie, but there's a book called Jewish Pirates of the Carribbean.
posted by electroboy at 2:18 PM on August 19, 2008

The Pirate Movie. We watched it in school when I was a teenager. So 80s. So campy. So charmingly ridiculous/retro.
posted by chaplinesque at 2:45 PM on August 19, 2008

Dodgeball
posted by rhizome at 2:52 PM on August 19, 2008

I'm a big fan of YellowBeard. My favorite pirate movie by far. While it has a great deal of the Mel Brooks crew in it, its not actually a Brooks film so it doesn't break out into random Jew jokes as often as a regular Brooks film would. But still, it combines several Mel Brooks folks, the Monty Python crew and Cheech and Chong in a pirate film. What's not to like?
posted by afflatus at 2:53 PM on August 19, 2008 [1 favorite]

Show Paper Clips if you haven't shown it already.
posted by 6:1 at 3:52 PM on August 19, 2008

(no--it's not about pirates, but it's good info!)

How about A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA. Great film - might not hold the attention of restless youth. Read the linked review to see if it is up your alley...
posted by cinemafiend at 5:43 PM on August 19, 2008

they're old enough to watch "master and commander," which although it is not about pirates, per se, it takes place on the high seas with main characters that are salty but also posessed of above-average intelligence and curiosity.
posted by thinkingwoman at 6:45 PM on August 19, 2008

I just looked on that great Pirate Movie Database that meerkatty recommended, and it hit me - The Princess Bride! I get to introduce the next generation to this classic film (and Andre the Giant), which is very funny and entertaining, and who could forget The Dread Pirate Roberts? Plus, it has relevant themes - forgiveness and remembrance, mercy vs. vengeance, etc.

Now if I can just stop saying "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...."
posted by ericbop at 7:12 PM on August 19, 2008

From a different angle, how about "The Hebrew Hammer?"
posted by QIbHom at 11:12 AM on August 20, 2008

« Older How can I merge two different ...   |  Do you have any great hints fo... Newer »