Where can I buy sea urchin roe in London?

Where can I buy sea urchin roe in London? I'm not interested if it's on a menu - I want to buy it as an ingredient. And I don't mind where it originates - Japanese (uni) or Italian (ricci di mare) or anywhere else is fine.
posted by Cobbler to Food & Drink (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'd start with Billingsgate market.
posted by essexjan at 2:07 PM on August 12, 2008

You could also try Atari-ya in various locations around London.
posted by essexjan at 2:16 PM on August 12, 2008

I tried Billingsgate this morning - no luck. Thanks for the tip on Atari-Ya - I'll try that tomorrow.
posted by Cobbler at 2:26 PM on August 12, 2008

You can get it on the sashimi counter in the food hall at selfridges (pre-packed into plastic pots). In my experience it's never been absolutely perfectly fresh though, and it's on the dear side.
posted by bifter at 3:01 PM on August 12, 2008

Have you looked at the sushi counter / cold cabinets of either Japan Centre, or Arigato?
posted by roofus at 2:21 AM on August 13, 2008

Yes, I've tried the Japan Centre, and Arigato, and Centre Point Food Centre. The formers sells sea urchin paste, not roe, the others neither.
posted by Cobbler at 2:28 AM on August 13, 2008

Thanks bifter. Roe obtained at Selfridges. Appreciate your help.
posted by Cobbler at 6:55 AM on August 13, 2008

« Older Is there any advantage to buyi...   |  What nice hand-made gifts can ... Newer »