How can I copy tracks from an iPod to a Mac G5?

My Dad has a first generation iPod and a G5. What (free, preferably) software can he use to transfer songs from the iPod back to the Mac?
posted by armoured-ant to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

iPodRip

*wipes his hands and walks away, whistling tunelessly, his work here finished*
posted by papercake at 9:22 AM on August 31, 2004

iPodRip is $10. If you want a free solution, I like iPod Tracks to Desktop, which will put a little menu item in your Scripts menu. You then highlight tracks in iTunes, select the menu item, and the songs are dumped on your desktop. The same guy also makes a script that lets you specify a different folder for the dump.

It's not meant for transferring endless gigabytes at a time, but it's nice to have around when you want to quickly grab a song or an album for whatever purpose. And it's free.
posted by bcwinters at 10:52 AM on August 31, 2004

The MP3s are available if you open the mounted iPod on your desktop and use any of the Mac OS X programs that will allow hidden files to be shown. I assume that Cocktail will do this.
posted by waldo at 11:10 AM on August 31, 2004

1. Run terminal (under utilities in the application folder)
2. cd to /Volumes//iPod_Control/Music
3. there it is.

remember, don't steal music.

posted by b1tr0t at 11:32 AM on August 31, 2004

i prefer podworks over ipodrip, it ran a lot faster for me
posted by mrcircles at 11:45 AM on August 31, 2004

Senuti uses the internal database, copies by track or playlists, and it's free.
posted by britain at 6:14 PM on August 31, 2004

« Older The TiVo is upstairs, the comp...   |  KnittingFilter: What can be ac... Newer »