Does anyone else hear odd noises in their heads when they are hungry?

When I get really hungry, as in stomach-growling hunger that makes you feel kind of dizzy, I also hear scritching noises in my head. I'm just curious about whether anyone else experiences this. These noises are kind of high-pitched and sound a bit like crickets chirping. They sound like they're entirely in my head, and they're pretty loud and not very pleasant. They don't really cause any discomfort but I really want to know if anyone else has this!
posted by Xianny to Health & Fitness (16 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I experience what I think is the exact same sensation that you described. It "feels" like it originates at the front of my head, somewhere behind my nose or eyes. I always "hear" it when I'm very hungry and a little lightheaded. I'd love to read some explanation of this.
posted by sherlockt at 4:00 PM on July 1, 2008

I got this when I was dieting hardcore. (Don't diet hardcore!)
posted by East Manitoba Regional Junior Kabaddi Champion '94 at 4:15 PM on July 1, 2008

I sometimes have sensations that sound and feel like spinal fluid moving through my neck and skull vertebrae when I'm hungry.
posted by infinitewindow at 4:33 PM on July 1, 2008

Yes. For me it's more whooshy than scritchy, and not loud at all, but it's definitely high-pitched and I do hear it up around my temples somewhere if I need to eat.
posted by tangerine at 5:46 PM on July 1, 2008

I'm not a doctor but regardless I diagnose you all with CRAZY. I have never heard or heard of this, ever.
posted by loiseau at 6:20 PM on July 1, 2008 [8 favorites]

i get exactly the same sensation as infinitewindow, only when i'm hungry. it's kind of like the gurgling/growling sounds from the belly, but higher pitched. originates in the neck, behind the throat in the base of the skull and top few vertebra. exactly as though the cerebrospinal fluid were moving around and squeezing through the little holes in the vertebra. SQUEEEEeeeeeeaaak.
posted by sergeant sandwich at 6:29 PM on July 1, 2008

some more people confirming the hunger connection here. haha, one guy calls it the rainstick noise. that's exactly what it sounds like!
posted by sergeant sandwich at 6:35 PM on July 1, 2008

Previously!
posted by gnomeloaf at 7:08 PM on July 1, 2008

Infinitewindow explained the noise/sensation I get perfectly. Strangely popping, rushing fluid sensations up my spine/neck.
posted by prettymightyflighty at 7:16 PM on July 1, 2008

I've had that feeling in my neck but have never associated it with hunger. Plus mine's not loud. It's a little unsettling though, like my dormant alien parasite is tossing in its sleep and rousing slightly. One day it will eat my brain and then come for the rest of you.
posted by Askr at 7:25 PM on July 1, 2008

I hear these a lot; more often when I'm very hungry. They sound like they originate at the base of my skull.
I also get a phantom smell from sustained heavy exertion. I can't quite put my finger on what it smells like, but it's familiar.
posted by willpie at 7:55 PM on July 1, 2008

I'm with loiseau. You are all nuts.
posted by ikkyu2 at 8:16 PM on July 1, 2008

Oh man, I was about to previously with my post but gnomeloaf beat me to it. Lame.
posted by disillusioned at 10:25 PM on July 1, 2008

I've always felt it in my neck, but I can see how you could think it was coming from your head.
posted by The Light Fantastic at 10:35 PM on July 1, 2008

excellent; now I know that I don't have a dormant alien parasite. :D thanks all.
posted by Xianny at 11:49 PM on July 1, 2008

Well, no. You don't know that.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 7:21 AM on July 2, 2008 [1 favorite]

« Older What is the best way to get ba...   |  Stain Removal Filter: Help me ... Newer »