Bands to see in Montreal

What bands to see in Montreal from the 19th - 24th?

I'll be in Montreal until the 25th, arriving tomorrow. I like seeing live music, especially so in small clubs. Any recommendations on whom to see and where?

Bands I've been listening to lately that I like: electrelane, Neutral Milk Hotel, Entire Cities, Basia Bulat, Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura, The Clash, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Love is All, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Devotchka, Dick Dale, Elvis, The Ramones, Weston.
posted by rbs to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't have any recommendations but stillepost lists upcoming shows if you have time to browse.
posted by saucysault at 12:49 PM on June 18, 2008

From what I know of the first two acts, this should fit the bill nicely: Shearwater, Fron Eyes and Evangelicals. Sunday 22nd June, Club Lambi
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 1:05 PM on June 18, 2008

That's Frog Eyes of course, not 'Fron Eyes'.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 1:06 PM on June 18, 2008

Hi! You've picked an amazing time to visit.

This is the link you want for show listings - then hover over what's interesting.

My tips:

THURSDAY, JUNE 19 FRIDAY, JUNE 20 okay, this is taking too long --

other goodness,

SATURDAY: The Youjsh, as part of Fringe Pop (again free), like Duke Ellington meets Balkan folk. You'd probably also like Wintersleep.

SUNDAY: I looooove Frog Eyes and Shearwater, so that's highly recommended (though Evangelicals leave me cold). Frog Eyes can be a little schizoid but Shearwater bring the best kind of ache and crash. Roscoe Michell's a jazz god. Oh, and Adam & the Amethysts at Fringe Pop!!!! Adam plays in Miracle Fortress and Telefauna, album is a beautiful bit of folk-pop, one of the dearest Canadian debuts of this year.

If you're still here on the 25th evening, do NOT NOT NOT miss White Hinterland and Tune Yards. That will tickle your fiddle three ways to sunday.
posted by Marquis at 1:28 PM on June 18, 2008

http://www.rave.ca/?s=calendar_month has a good list of electronic and other types of music.
posted by PowerCat at 1:47 PM on June 18, 2008

Here are some more links that list things happening in Montreal
http://events.montreal.com/
http://www.dreamica.ca/
posted by PowerCat at 1:54 PM on June 18, 2008

Marquis is just the guy you want answering this question. Listen to him!
posted by loiseau at 4:17 PM on June 18, 2008

Sweet. I'm going to the pop in the park thing tonight. PM me if you are too.
posted by rbs at 2:20 PM on June 19, 2008

Bummer about handsome furs not doing well in the rain.
posted by rbs at 7:15 PM on June 19, 2008

hope you caught Little Scream and the Witchies - they were really terrific! didn't get yr note here til after!
posted by Marquis at 10:59 PM on June 19, 2008

Seconding le morte de bea arthur's suggestion, with enthusiasm.
posted by statolith at 9:12 AM on June 23, 2008

« Older Would reinstalling XP mean I d...   |  I want my roommate GONE. We ha... Newer »