Good tailor/seamstress in west downtown Toronto?

I'm looking for recommendations for a good tailor around Queen and Spadina in Toronto. Nothing fancy - I just need some dress pants hemmed - but recommendations any places you personally know to be good/not too expensive would be appreciated.
posted by Dasein to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There is a tailor in the basement of the building at 1 Queen, just on the other side of Yonge Street. He's well known at the hospital where I work (St Mike's) as one of the best tailors for alteration in the city, and not that expensive. The basement of 1 Queen is pretty small; it's just above the entrance to the subway.

There is also a reasonably good alterations place in the basement of the Eaton Centre, just across from the north food court. I don't know name. Sorry, but it beats the hell out of Stitch It.

This might be coals to Newcastle. Isn't Queen and Spadina the heart of the fashion district?
posted by gesamtkunstwerk at 7:10 PM on May 13, 2008

Yes, it is. There are lots and lots of places - it's not that there's nowhere to go, I was just looking for a personal endorsement. Thanks for the recommendation.
posted by Dasein at 8:18 PM on May 13, 2008

A really good one is Studio Kim on King West. They do really good European Hems for jeans, so I imagine they'd do good jobs on regular old hemming as well.
posted by chunking express at 7:25 AM on May 14, 2008

The place in the Eaton Centre does a good job -- I think it's called SalStyle. Same with the place in Yorkdale Mall. They've done a few pairs of jeans and some shirts for me and I have no complaints, other than perhaps they are always busy and tend to take 4-5 days.
posted by krunk at 7:34 PM on May 15, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
posted by Dasein at 8:38 PM on May 15, 2008

« Older Looking for songs about overdo...   |  If I've got a Blogger-hosted b... Newer »