How to export from Avid?

I'm using Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2. I have found that it won't import .mov files unless the latest version of quicktime is installed on the computer. However, it won't export unless I install a much older version of quicktime (6.1) (Otherwise I get error message "export format may require audio or video tracks.")

I have worked around this problem by installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling the different versions of quicktime whenever I'd like to import or export .mov files from Avid. It works all right since I mainly import DV, which always works. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this is, or how to fix it?

The computer has never been connected to the internet so I'm wondering if there is some update for Avid I should download, or whether it would help to pay for an upgrade.

Additional stupid question: Is there ANY way to import other formats into Avid besides .mov and DV?
posted by eric1200 to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Here is a list of the EXACT version of quicktime you need.

If you're using 5.2 (and not 5.2.1), you need QT 6.5. I believe this is a stand alone installer.

This should fix your import/export options.

Sure, avid will do AVI too. What other format do you want to import? Please keep in mind that an AVI is a container (so is quicktime.) It's the flavor of QT (or AVI) that's important. Formats like DivX are considered to be distribution formats, and not worth importing (vs. the original tape media.)

Same with DVDs. And .WMV files. They're all highly compressed, where most of the frame data has been thrown away.
posted by filmgeek at 4:43 PM on May 13, 2008

It might not be related but there's a quirk in quicktime since they upgraded to 7.4. The app just hides and doesn't use oldish codecs by default.
There's an article about it here.
But this looks like a container problem more than a codec one so you might be stuck with 6.2...
posted by SageLeVoid at 9:12 PM on May 13, 2008

« Older Where can I get a mod chip for...   |  I want to work out, but I know... Newer »