This iPod doesn't Work.

Is this iPod useless? Because I'm clueless.

I have one of these, an iPod HP 20GB. I have a Mac Mini computer. I dragged out this old iPod because I want to buy one of these docking stations. When I plug in the HP iPod I get all kinds of messages, like it can't find the disk and can't sync and other No, Go Away! messages.

Should I forget this iPod and buy a newer one that will work? Or, can I get this one to work somehow? I have one of those teeny Nano things but I don't think it will fit on a docking station. Thanks.
posted by LoriFLA to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

When I plug in the HP iPod to my computer that is...
posted by LoriFLA at 5:08 PM on April 29, 2008

Have you tried resetting your iPod? I had a similar issue with my 30g video a couple of years ago, and that worked for me temporarily (eventually I had to ship it back to Apple for a replacement because it turned out to be fried).

The Nano should dock, though, with the dock adapter.
posted by mewithoutyou at 5:27 PM on April 29, 2008

Your iPod might be Firewire only - won't work in a USB port.
posted by DandyRandy at 5:41 PM on April 29, 2008

mewithoutyou, thanks. I followed the instructions to reset. It worked.

It used to work with a USB port before, but that's when I had a Dell.

I plugged it in again and no dice. I am trying to restore this particular iPod. I get a message that says: "The iPod could not be restored because it could not be found."

Under the device description is says, Format: Windows. Could the fact that the format is Windows be the reason it won't work? I don't know. Thanks for the help so far.

I may just get the appropriate adapter for the Nano if I can't figure this out.
posted by LoriFLA at 5:52 PM on April 29, 2008

I had a similar issue a couple of months ago, only I went from a Mac-formatted 20GB 4G iPod to Windows-formatted. It took a few tries to make it work because it kept asking me to plug it into the wall (to complete the format). Unfortunately, at the time I couldn't find the wall adapter, and either way, the wall adapter was FireWire, whereas I only had a USB cable at the time. I kinda jerry-rigged it to work; I don't remember exactly how I did it anymore, but I would definitely look for the Firewire cable and plug adapter. I also got similar error messages (FWIW).
posted by SeizeTheDay at 5:59 PM on April 29, 2008

My husband just showed me the difference between USB and Firewire. The Firewire works.

Thanks DandyRandy and mewithoutyou!

It works!
posted by LoriFLA at 6:00 PM on April 29, 2008

but I would definitely look for the Firewire cable and plug adapter

Yes. Thanks SeizetheDay!

Did I mention I was clueless?

Thanks all!
posted by LoriFLA at 6:01 PM on April 29, 2008

It works!

Yay!
posted by mewithoutyou at 10:02 PM on May 1, 2008

« Older How do I get gum off the botto...   |  I ran a creative contest. 17 p... Newer »