Trademark, business moving questions!

I have a few basic business questions about a trademark and changing the business address when I move. Any advice would be great!

I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone can answer them for me please.

1 - I want to trademark my business' name. I know it will take a while and cost a lot but what I'm wondering if I have to trademark the business nickname if I choose one and if I have to trademark on the variations such as grablife365 Baby or grablife365 home in addition to just grablife365. I don't understand how this works. I wouldn't think I'd need to but I just want to be sure.

2 - If I file a DBA where I'm living now and then move to a new county in the same state do I need to fill out papers again or just contact someone and let them know? How does that work if I move to another state?

3- If I move a few times in the beginning of setting up my business, does that make my business look unstable? I'll be moving sometime in June to a new county and maybe the year after to CA. I don't know how long I'll be there but I want to use mailbox etc if that makes any difference.

So those my questions. Please help!
posted by grablife365 to Law & Government (3 answers total)

1. It is cheap and easy to register your mark in the US. It only becomes expensive if you decide to register it around the globe. TM basics.
posted by caddis at 10:41 AM on April 29, 2008

One-and-a-half-ing Caddis, it may be cheap and easy to register your mark in the USPTO.

However, if the USPTO raises any more than minor objections to your application (which seems likely since YANAL), then it will immediately become non-easy; and in that case, you will need to hire somebody who knows what they are doing.

BTW, "trademark" is not a verb.
posted by JimN2TAW at 11:12 AM on April 29, 2008

Sorry, I forgot to add that you should follow the links in Caddis' article, and especially links to the US Patent and Trademark Office, which publishes basic information on how to file an application to register your trademark.
posted by JimN2TAW at 11:14 AM on April 29, 2008

« Older One of those "Suicide Gir...   |  Does anybody ever regret switc... Newer »