Where to get colored refrigerator bulbs

Where can I get different colored light bulbs for a refrigerator?

I want the inside of my fridge to light up in a different color -- preferably blue or orange. Where can I get different colored bulbs?
posted by jinatrix to Home & Garden (9 answers total)

What about buying a normal light bulb and painting it a different color? Someone asked how to do that in a previous AskMe.
posted by burnmp3s at 4:01 PM on April 20, 2008

use any bulb that will fit, it shouldn't make a difference... If it is a long style bulb, try looking for aquarium bulbs... Just don't go over the wattage of the original bulb...
posted by HuronBob at 4:02 PM on April 20, 2008

Christmas tree bulbs, you know the really old kind which are still sold, will fit most fridges. Perhaps you can even get one that blinks.
posted by caddis at 4:06 PM on April 20, 2008

Most fridges I've come across use standard incandescent bulbs (medium or mini base). Colored bulbs should be easy to find.
posted by wsp at 5:48 PM on April 20, 2008

Get a color gel pack at your local pro photography supplier. These are colored acetate sheets. Cut them out and pop them inside the transparent plastic cover for the light. Mix and match. You may also be able to find colored cellophane at a craft shop.
posted by JackFlash at 6:39 PM on April 20, 2008

Blue or green light inside your fridge will gross you out. If you're doing this to lose weight, it'll work.
posted by bink at 6:43 PM on April 20, 2008

My roommates and I used to do this in college to surprise each other. We just used standard colored light bulbs, which we bought at Spencer's Gifts. At the mall.

And now I'm embarrassed.
posted by The corpse in the library at 7:43 PM on April 20, 2008

You could also try LED bulbs, which are available in all sorts of colors, and RGB color-changing lightshow styles.
posted by Myself at 2:11 AM on April 21, 2008

Fridge bulbs are generally A or C base bulbs, any decent lighting store will have a variety of colours (and even most decripit stores like the local Borg/WalMart). However, genuine Fridge bulbs are rough service bulbs, they have filaments designed to stand up to vibration (from the compressor) and shocks (from closing the doors). You might experience shorter life with the coloured bulb depending on its and your fridge's construction.
posted by Mitheral at 11:15 AM on April 21, 2008

« Older How common is a false positive...   |  Where can one buy a beautiful ... Newer »