Link from excel cell to a specific PDF page?

Is there a way to create a link in an Excel spreadsheet to a specific page or destination in an external PDF file? I've read some tutorials that show how to do this in html documents but can't seem to figure out if it's possible in Excel. I'm using MS Excel 2000 and Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Professional. Thanks!
posted by bepe to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

I don't know about Excel 2000, but the following works in Excel 97:

From the Insert menu, select Hyperlink.
In the address field, paste the link, and append #page=3 to the link.

For example:

http://www.archives.gov/locations/calendar/index.pdf#page=3
posted by grateful at 12:31 PM on April 17, 2008

Thanks. I should have mentioned, though, that the PDF files in question are on a my hard drive, not the internet. For whatever reason, I can generally use hyperlinks in excel just fine, and the link goes to a specific page in the PDF when the file is on a web page and opened in a browser. But when the file's on my hard drive, and the opened in acrobat, it refuses to go to the specific page.
posted by bepe at 12:45 PM on April 17, 2008

I've had problems with this before too, and I think it may be an instance of Excel not working like it should. I can't get it to do it correctly either, not with Excel 2000 nor with Excel 2003.

I dug up this excel tips page that explores the same issue, and the tip to get around it is to use IE to open the file through a macro.

For me, it was too much work for the links I needed. I ended up just making the PDF file itself easy to navigate (with named destinations), and just opening it to the file, without going directly to the page. That might not work for your purposes, though.
posted by gemmy at 3:50 PM on April 17, 2008

« Older I've moved from a claustro apa...   |  I'd really like to read a book... Newer »