What to make with Protein Powder that isn't chunky and mushy?

What can I cook with protein powder, other than smoothies or oatmeal?

I'm trying to add protein to my diet via protein powder, but I can't get excited about smoothies or oatmeal. What are some other things I could use it in?
posted by ThePinkSuperhero to Food & Drink (19 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

I've added it to homemade granola bars, pudding.

I've never tried it but you could probably add it into soup, spaghetti sauce, mix it in with jelly before you put it on toast.
posted by silkygreenbelly at 10:05 AM on April 17, 2008

You can put it in yogurt. Also, you can make high-protein pudding...you could use milk instead of the "dairy beverage" listed there.
posted by cabingirl at 10:11 AM on April 17, 2008

Pancakes and waffles.

I'm wondering, though, about not being excited for smoothies. Why not!? Unless you're genuinely not big on any kind of blended fruity drink. I'm reaching, here, but have you tried blending:
- water
- milk/soymilk
- bananas
- strawberry whey protein
- 1 cup of lowfat flavored yogurt (YOPLAIT GUAVA OMG)
- ice

Maybe I'm just conditioned from years of whey intake.. but that's like heaven for me. YMToHeavenMV.
posted by crunch buttsteak at 10:14 AM on April 17, 2008

Oh, and if you register you can see the boards at Bariatic Eating where they have a recipe board. Some of those recipes will be uses for protein powder...I know I've seen protein pancakes, etc. Some of the recipes will unfortunately call for specific products that are sold on the website (baking mixes, etc).
posted by cabingirl at 10:15 AM on April 17, 2008

also this might be helpful as well as this and this thread was started the other day, give it a few days and there might be lots of recipes posted.
posted by silkygreenbelly at 10:17 AM on April 17, 2008

protein brownies
posted by dawdle at 10:17 AM on April 17, 2008

I'm wondering, though, about not being excited for smoothies. Why not!?

Because, that's why. To be clear: I don't want recipes for smoothies.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 10:18 AM on April 17, 2008 [3 favorites]

I bet you can easily sneak protein power into any heavy sauce. Try adding some to chili or channa masala. Are you veg?
posted by ozomatli at 10:40 AM on April 17, 2008

I am not a vegetarian.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 10:44 AM on April 17, 2008 [1 favorite]

Just about any baked good can take on a tablespoon or two of protein powder. Pancakes, cookies, muffins, biscuits, scones, etc, etc. Too much and they won't rise as well but a bit is OK.
posted by GuyZero at 10:59 AM on April 17, 2008

If you have a tasteless protein powder (which I am assuming you do) you really can experiment with a lot of things. One thing to remember is that proteins react to heat and that can lead to undesired textures, some of the recipes might not turn out that great until you figure out how to heat them properly.

The proteins will thicken a lot of things you add it to. You can easily add protein to gravies and whatnot. If you like stroganoff you can add some protein to the roux i bet. I would also try adding it to mac and cheese (probably better off not using powdered). I can attest to adding soy protein to a vegetarian chili that thickened it nicely, but you can add it to a turkey chili too. If you make omelets you can add some power to the beaten eggs as long as you also increase the amount of milk added and I would also add a pinch of baking powder. (I suppose you could do the same with scrambled eggs, but be careful to use low heat and slowly raise it.)

You can add protein to existing meat products as well. Many people beat an egg into a hamburger to help it keep form and the protein in theory could do the same thing. Dissolve the protien in warm water and then mix in with the beef. This would work very well to make lean ground beef into a decent burger. In a similar fashion you can add the protein to meatloaf.

The general rule of thumb is to try to sneak it into places where the protein will normally be.

I would probably avoid too much baking applications.
posted by ozomatli at 11:01 AM on April 17, 2008

I just had some lo-carb banana muffins today. Made with protein powder and flaxmeal.

Ingredients
3 lg eggs
1 1/2 stick butter melted
2 tsp. vanilla
1 C. Protein Powder
3/4 C. Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 C Raspberry devinci syrup
1/2 C. Water
1 C. Flaxseed Meal

Directions
Preheat oven to 350

Beat eggs and add in melted butter and vanilla. Continue to beat well. One by one, add the protein powder, splenda, baking powder and salt. Beat well. Stir in the syrup, water and flaxseed meal.

Put mixture into well greased muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes.

I guess you don't have to use Sugar Free syrup, and I swap Raspberry for Banana. I like these, but then I am a diabetic and have had to learn to like these types of substitutes.
posted by genefinder at 11:08 AM on April 17, 2008 [1 favorite]

Oh, and I use Vanilla Whey protein powder when I make these.
posted by genefinder at 11:08 AM on April 17, 2008

I have a jug of ON Strawberry-Banana that I just can't get into, maybe I'll start to make pancakes.
posted by QuarterlyProphet at 12:13 PM on April 17, 2008

I wish I knew exactly what protein powder you are referring to, because I might like to buy it. I live on cornbread that I bake three times a week with HMR Vanilla 70. I make this in batches of little bread pan loaves (not sure what you call those things): I mix 16 packets with 1 cup cornmeal (I especially like fine, white cornmeal), 1/2 flour, two heaping tablespoons baking powder, two teaspoons salt, mix the dry ingredients, mix in 4 cups cold water, put into 8 loaves and bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree pre-heated oven.
posted by thomas144 at 12:18 PM on April 17, 2008

My husband used to add it to milkshakes. (OK, that's close to a smoothie, but not really.)

He was trying to GAIN weight, and I'm not sure what your goal is, but hey, if you like milkshakes, might as well add some extra protein.
posted by peep at 12:52 PM on April 17, 2008

You should try soy flour (Bob's Red Mill brand is good). You can swap out white flour with the soy flour in most recipes, though you sometimes have to play around with the proportions. It's a nice way to enjoy baked goods and get some extra protein painlessly.

I like adding chocolate protein powder to plain, nonfat yogurt to make a soupy pudding. It's not as good as pudding, obviously, but it's tasty.

Here's the thing. I just force myself to drink a glass of the powder dissolved in water every morning. Then I don't have to spend any time worrying what else to do with it. Groceries are expensive and it takes time to cook, so when I do cook I want to know the food is going to come out looking, smelling, and tasting delicious. I don't want to monkey around with the ingredients and be starving and disappointed when some new creation comes out of the oven looking unappetizing because I fucked with the recipe.
posted by HotPatatta at 2:11 PM on April 17, 2008 [1 favorite]

When my roommate was training to become a stripper, he ate protein powder in just about everything. I'm seconding the recommendations for pancakes; he also added it to guacamole, stew, consumes, risotto…
posted by klangklangston at 3:54 PM on April 17, 2008

add it to 2 your oatmeal!
posted by The1andonly at 1:37 PM on July 14, 2008

« Older Can an ATA-7 hard drive be use...   |  Is it possible to have each au... Newer »