Weird-smelling menstrual blood?

Should I worry about weird-smelling menstrual blood?

My menstrual blood smells strongly of vinegar. This is the first time this has happened. Does this mean there is some kind of problem?
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Asparagus could do that.
posted by laconic titan at 8:59 AM on March 31, 2008

posting on behalf of a friend (really, she sent this to me by email):
This happened to me. Actually, I noticed the vinegar smell when I didn't have my period, but it definitely got stronger when I had my period. I went to my doctor and she said she had never heard of anything causing a vinegar smell and kept asking if I meant a fishy smell. No, not fish, vinegar. She couldn't smell anything. Anyway, she had a look and it turned out I had a raging yeast infection (I was away from my home city and waited 3 months til I got back to see a doc, so it was kind of bad by the time I did). I had no itching, burning, or anything else that supposedly goes with a yeast infection, but both the doc's exam and the slide/sample thing they do said that's what it was. Anyway, I took the yeast infection stuff and it went away. It's returned a couple of times since (odour, but no itching/burning or any other yeast infection symptoms) and I went out and bought OTC yeast infection stuff and it went away. I've come to the conclusion that when I have non-standard reactions/symptoms from yeast infections. Maybe you do, too. Go see your doctor.
posted by jb at 10:04 AM on March 31, 2008

Sounds like acetic bacteria, either coexisting with the yeast (which make it easier for the acetic bacteria to flourish, but don't have as strong a smell), or instead of them. Since acetic bacteria are adapted to getting nutrition from alcohol (which is how they turn a $500 bottle of Dom Perignon into a worthless bottle of sparkling vinegar), I'd guess the former.

Doesn't sound any more serious than a standard yeast infection, but it's time to ask a qualified Gyno for a test. IMO.
posted by IAmBroom at 10:52 AM on March 31, 2008

« Older Where did Jack Kerouac actuall...   |  Looking for a good mens haircu... Newer »