Receive Fax's as PDF

I am looking for fax software that can receive faxes as a PDF file or other non proprietary file. Mac OS X or Windows would work. Anyone have any recommendations?
posted by tirebouchon to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

One follow up. I don not want to receive fax's over the internet.
posted by tirebouchon at 9:54 AM on March 20, 2008

I believe OS X has this built in. Plug in a phone line and poke around under the Print & Fax System Preferences panel.
posted by Plug Dub In at 10:10 AM on March 20, 2008

Windows XP can do this as well, although the capability isn't automatically installed. Faxes come in as TIFFs; you can find out more here.
posted by Hermes32 at 12:21 PM on March 20, 2008

It does. That's how we handle faxes at my office.
posted by Steve3 at 3:40 PM on March 20, 2008

PageSender might fit the bill.
posted by LuckySeven~ at 4:26 PM on March 20, 2008

As noted, OS X does have fax capabilbility on the software side. However Apple has been leaving fax modem hardware out of most of the product line lately. So depending on which Mac you've got access to, you might need to buy something to plug a line into.
posted by nakedcodemonkey at 10:16 PM on March 20, 2008

Seconding pagesender. We use it here at work, and it's pretty awesome. We have one computer that acts as the "fax machine" - it receives the faxes and prints them automatically, and also saves a pdf. And Since it's on the network, anyone can use it to send a fax from any application that has a print dialog.

At first we tried using the built-in fax capabilities of OS X but found them too limiting.
posted by kpmcguire at 10:20 AM on March 21, 2008

« Older I could really use some assist...   |  How proactive should a girl ex... Newer »