Mysterious Obama street art.

How might I find more information about this Obama poster, seen under the Ballard Bridge in Seattle?

Ebay, google fail me. I would like to purchase one or at least know who the artist is. (The comments section of that flickr page tells the story of how one guy obtained one.)
posted by Slarty Bartfast to Grab Bag (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

The Chicago Tribune recently did a piece on the artist responsible.
posted by Work to Live at 8:46 AM on February 16, 2008

Uh, er, in my fever to answer your question quickly I may have linked to an article that's about an artist creating guerilla Obama posters, but not the artist who created the poster you want. Sorry. Good luck finding it.
posted by Work to Live at 8:52 AM on February 16, 2008

Looks like Shepard Fairey's style, who has also been implicated/assumed/hoped-for in some Obama stencils that have been showing up lately.
posted by rhizome at 9:39 AM on February 16, 2008

I was looking for one also, I was just in ballard yesterday morning and passed the columns.

I was able to make an EPS out of the image you linked, so I can get you a print of any size you want. (If I could find a place to buy one I would).
posted by mrzarquon at 9:40 AM on February 16, 2008

Well, that's pretty cool, mrzarquon.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 10:09 AM on February 16, 2008

Fairey did some other Obey Obama posters.
posted by barometer at 10:10 AM on February 16, 2008

Here's a little post on the poster here too. Maybe email the author to see if she got any leads as to the artist's name.
posted by barometer at 10:20 AM on February 16, 2008

Surely the apostrophe belongs someplace else?
posted by popcassady at 10:49 AM on February 16, 2008

That's very similar in style to Shepard Fairey's work, but it appears that this is the image that Shepard created for his support of Obama. So - I don't know who did the poster you linked to, but you can see where the inspiration came from.
posted by bedhead at 10:57 AM on February 16, 2008

It's probably the owner of the Flickr account you linked to.
posted by mike_bling at 12:09 PM on February 16, 2008

You're right, popcassady (and don't call me Shirley). It should be like this: '08
posted by The corpse in the library at 12:13 PM on February 16, 2008

"It should be like this: '08"

Yeah, Obama is not eight feet tall.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 4:09 PM on February 16, 2008

It's not Fairey. The genuine Fairey pieces are a million times better; the typography on the one you linked to is (frankly) way shitty, with incorrect apostrophe usage and Obama looking like a zombie with a mental disability.

And stop using those goddamn Illustrator sunrays, guys.
posted by Optimus Chyme at 4:10 PM on February 16, 2008

I would ask Dan Savage to post on the Slog. Or first search there.
posted by herbaliser at 4:25 PM on February 19, 2008

« Older Vancouver.filter: I'm in Vanco...   |  I'd like to hear other people'... Newer »