Join 3,564 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


Poisonous fumes from a DVD candle holder?
February 6, 2008 10:01 PM   Subscribe

Poisonous fumes from a DVD candle holder?

I've been using a discarded DVD as a candle holder. I like the lighting effect and would like to continue doing so, but... when the candle burns down far enough it's going to start heating up the DVD.

If I let it get down too far it's going start burning the plastic and I'll have an obvious cue that I need to fix things. What I'm worried about is what happens before that point: will there be significant gasses released as the DVD heats up but before it starts to burn?

Needless to say, googling "burning DVDs" did not yield the desired results...
posted by tkolar to Science & Nature (9 answers total)
 
DVDs are made of a polycarbonate/metal sandwich. Polycarbonate can burn causing a 'dense toxic smoke'. There may be a bit of a smell before it burns.

Personally I would be *much* more concerned about using a flammable material as a candle holder. Candles are a leading cause of domestic house fires (which is why house fires always increase during power blackouts). It's a fundamentally BAD idea. Please don't do it.
posted by unSane at 10:11 PM on February 6, 2008 [1 favorite]


Huh, never really thought of DVDs as flammable but you're quite right. According to the specs they'll ignite at a much lower temperature than a candle flame.

Of course, now you've got me wondering about the wooden candle holders I've used for the last twenty years without thinking about it....
posted by tkolar at 10:28 PM on February 6, 2008


I've melted through a series of DVDs with hot wire and I'm still sane.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 10:39 PM on February 6, 2008


I've melted through a series of DVDs with hot wire and I'm still sane.

This from someone who spends time melting through DVDs with hot wire. . .
posted by 1 at 10:42 PM on February 6, 2008 [1 favorite]


They microwave pretty nicely as well. Lovely technicolour sparkles.
posted by tim_in_oz at 11:37 PM on February 6, 2008


How about setting the candle in a clear glass holder and placing that on the DVD? Depends on the type of candle, of course.
posted by QueSeraSera at 12:41 AM on February 7, 2008


Get a small round mirror, and use that in place of the DVD. Ikea sells ones that are DVD-sized for around 4 dollars. It will probably also look a bit classier than a DVD.
posted by explosion at 4:44 AM on February 7, 2008


Get a small round mirror, and use that in place of the DVD.

Mirrors aren't nearly as sparkly.

Right now I'm leaning towards a thin sheet of glass. It also solves the problem of wax escaping through the hole in the middle.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
posted by tkolar at 8:50 AM on February 7, 2008


I agree with just a glass candle holder. Contains the candle safely instead of using a sheet of glass (wax can still spread, fire can still spread). The glass will let the light down on the DVD.
posted by agregoli at 9:16 AM on February 7, 2008


« Older Please recommend some of your ...   |  The S.O. wants to go away for ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.