Help me be able to make mobile calls while visiting the US
February 6, 2008 12:46 PM Subscribe
I'd really like to be able to make mobile calls during my visit to the US.
I'm wondering what my best option is.
1. It would be nice if I'd be able to use my old european GSM. I'd buy a cheap prepaid SIM in the US
2. if that wouldn't work I'd like to buy a very cheap second hand cellphone in San Francisco and use it with a US prepaid SIM.
posted by jouke to Technology (10 answers total)
So the questions are:
1. will my GSM cellphone work in the US? wikipedia
tells me that the European frequencies are 900/1800/1900 but that only 1900 will work in the US. Will I be able to make decent calls with just one frequency available?
2. where can I find a very cheap possibly second hand cellphone in San Francisco if option 1 won't work? Are there thrift stores? I imagine that craigslist isn't an option since it's really not worthwhile to travel far to buy such a thing.
3. will my phone work in NY too? Or are providers/sims state specific?