Jailbreak the iPhone

I want to jailbreak my iPhone...

I bought an iPhone two days ago and it came with firmware 1.1.3.... It will not let me downgrade to any other version, at least I have not had luck downgrading. Can anyone point me in a direction to downgrade a phone that came with 1.1.3 firmware or jailbreak the phone?

Note: I own a Macbook with an intel processor.
posted by kaozity to Technology (9 answers total)

Google iphone jailbreak and you'll get news about that firmware version.
posted by Burhanistan at 1:48 PM on January 25, 2008

I have the same urge to jailbreak my iPhone. I finally decided against it, hoping that the SDK release will hasten the development of new apps. I'd say give it time and see what happens before going through the trouble of a jailbreak.
posted by slogger at 1:53 PM on January 25, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can't jailbreak 1.1.3 just yet. Software was just released (leaked), though it apparently uses code made by Apple, so the actual team that usually releases these hacks has disavowed it.
posted by chunking express at 1:54 PM on January 25, 2008

iphone.unlock.no is probably the most reliable place for unlocking / jailbreaking news.
posted by chunking express at 1:57 PM on January 25, 2008

Lifehacker just posted today about your very problem. Here's their how-to article on it. They also note that a Mac version has been released.

--JOsh
posted by crturboguy at 2:09 PM on January 25, 2008

Quite simply, there's no way to do what you want to do at this time.

Noone has found a way yet (or at least publicized a way yet) to downgrade a phone purchased with 1.1.3 version firmware. So the current jailbreaks won't work in your case.
posted by drpynchon at 2:25 PM on January 25, 2008

Be aware that crturboguy's article is for 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 phones that were upgraded to 1.1.3 (I believe). I did the upgrade last night, and while it worked it made my phone flaky, and eventually it wouldn't turn on, so I restored the 1.1.1 firmware instead. Another issue with Nate True's method is that it's not official, and he was kicked out of the "team" that is working on the issue for releasing it. I'd hold off a bit, a different version will eventually appear.

In the meantime, this is a good place to watch for news on hacking the 1.1.3 firmware.
posted by blue_beetle at 3:11 PM on January 25, 2008

I think 1.1.3 jailbreak was released publicly yesterday (for mac too!):

http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27069
posted by ngn01 at 4:16 PM on January 25, 2008

This is pretty comprehensive. Step by step guide for a variety of starting points.
posted by chunking express at 7:50 AM on January 28, 2008

« Older Someone close to me has a D/s ...   |  What should i consume immediat... Newer »