I need a site that will give me mapquest-like directions to a place with lat/lon coordinates but no address.

I'm looking for a site that will give me mapquest-like directions to a place that has no address, but that I do have the lat/lon for. [mi]

The place is a small park (Mammoth Pool) in the mountains. The nearest intersection is between two streets that intersect more than once, since they are windy mountain roads, and mapquest zeroes in on the wrong intersection. I want to send out invites to a group camping trip there, and I'd like to send people a mapquest-like link. (I do have directions that I can send, but I'd still like to send the map link to, just so people can find directions from somewhere else, or whatever.)
posted by badstone to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Oops, just found it after a little more snooping...
posted by badstone at 2:45 PM on June 23, 2004

I think Mapquest can do what you're asking for. Here's an example URL:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=38.889418&longitude=-77.035240

That takes you to a map of the Washington Monument. Then if you type your address in below, it gives you driving directions. Since there's no exact address, the last step of the directions tells me:

There are .11 miles between your ending location and the end of your driving directions. Use maps to get from your ending location to the end of your route.

but hopefully that should get them close enough.
posted by llamateur at 2:46 PM on June 23, 2004

I have the same problem. I want Evite to be able to generate a map to Manresa Uplands campground, near Manresa Beach CA, but the State Park service can't decide whether it's in La Selva Beach or Watsonville, and the actual street address of the campground isn't in Mapquest's database, aaaargh.
posted by luriete at 2:57 PM on June 23, 2004

Cool thanks I was looking for somthing like this..
posted by stbalbach at 3:29 PM on June 23, 2004

« Older Anyone know of any stats showi...   |  I have Apache 2.0 running. I c... Newer »