How do I revive a brown sugar stone?

How do I revive a brown sugar stone?

My mom gave me a brown sugar stone a few years back. It's similar to this. It really did work, keeping the sugar soft, until the most recent time I went to use the brown sugar and noticed it was hard as a rock.

When I received it there were instructions on the packaging and I remember soaking the stone and then either putting it in the sugar when damp or when dry after the soak. I've long since lost the packaging and don't remember what I did. It may also be that these things just lose their efficacy after a while.

So, how do I make the stone work again?

(And I know that a slice of bread would do the same thing as the stone, but I have the stone and it takes up less space in the canister.)
posted by 100watts to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

what you are looking for
posted by parmanparman at 8:35 AM on January 18, 2008 [1 favorite]

Thank you! It was using "stone" and not "disc" that kept me from finding that. I looked through pages of Google results that were mostly about a song sung by Mick Jagger.
posted by 100watts at 8:37 AM on January 18, 2008

That brown sugar disc is just a piece of bisque fired earthenware. It's porous enough to hold a fair amount of water inside.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 9:57 AM on January 18, 2008 [1 favorite]

That's pretty cool, parmanparman, but just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what that "Magic Dust" is? The website says "It works!" but doesn't say what it does.
posted by Greg Nog at 10:59 AM on January 18, 2008

I think they're just pieces of shaped confetti, Greg Nog. We use a "Santa Dust" during the nights leading up to Christmas that are shaped in shiny holiday patterns.
posted by shinynewnick at 1:30 PM on January 18, 2008

or just add a piece of apple peel and wait a couple days.
posted by theora55 at 9:25 AM on January 19, 2008

« Older A couple of years ago – post-9...   |  Help me remember how to play A... Newer »