How to order a book for a friend in Switzerland

I want to order a book online to send to a friend in Switzerland as a gift. It's not a particularly hard-to-find book or anything. She's in Geneva, I'm in Toronto.

Rather than buy the book here and ship it, it seems to make sense to order it do somewhere that ships from Switzerland (or nearby). Is that right? Can anyone recommend a good site?

(I looked at amazon.de, which seems possibly a good choice, but apparently the Germans have their own language, which made the site hard to understand...)

Anyone have suggestions?
posted by ManInSuit to Shopping (5 answers total)

Amazon.co.uk is the language thing is too much?

Although I would've thought that the basic "Add to basket", "Checkout", "Enter Details" dialogs are all pretty similar and recognisable...
posted by djgh at 10:29 AM on January 6, 2008

*if

You can try www.amazon.fr ; or www.alapage.com (looks pretty cheap as far as shipping is concerned) ; www.priceminister.com is a place where you can order second-hand books (or cds or dvds etc...) but also brand new ones (""├ętat : neuf", price in violet, not in red).
posted by nicolin at 10:31 AM on January 6, 2008

OffTheShelf is a respectable English language bookstore in Geneva, perhaps they can hook you up.
posted by shothotbot at 11:34 AM on January 6, 2008

Duh. I hadn't thought of the UK amazon. Just ordered - it has what appears to be quick (enough) cheap (enough) shipping to Switzerland. Thanks!
posted by ManInSuit at 12:57 PM on January 6, 2008

« Older We're about to purchase the La...   |  Are there any laws or regulati... Newer »