How do I make a sweet web-enabled office jukebox?
December 14, 2007 8:43 AM Subscribe
What's the best way to create an office jukebox with a web interface?
posted by jmprice to technology (15 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I think it would be awesome to have an office jukebox that we could fill with everyone's favorite music and control through a web interface.
We have a large, cavernous office and a staff who loves discovering new music. Right now we take turns plugging in our iPods but we would love for there to be a way to create a console that we could administer from our desks.
Has anyone ever attempted to create such a thing for their office?
We have PC and Mac laptops we could devote to the tasks. I don't want to use desktops because I think it would use too much power unnecessarily.
Ideally, the system:
- would be visible over our internal work network so you could deposit songs into its library
- would allow users to log in and put items in a queue to be played.
- identify the user who had chosen the song to be played.
- would be able to power down automatically after close of business.
- would be able to power up by Wake-on-Lan.
- would have a system that created user play scarcity, e.g. someone has a limited amount of "jukebox quarters" weekly.
- would allow users to spend additional quarters to skip ahead in the queue.
Does anyone know how to build this thing?
(We will share our results with the world at large when we figure it out.)