Seventies cheese, anyone?

I've decided to make my own Christmas cards this year. But I'm having trouble deciding what to say inside them.

I've gone through the internet and have picked out random pictures of peoples families from the 70's at Christmas time. I just need something witty to put on the inside. Any ideas?"
posted by heavenstobetsy to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is each Christmas card going to have a different family's photo on it? Or will it be one card-design featuring all the families, reproduced multiple times?
posted by Greg Nog at 9:20 AM on November 27, 2007 [1 favorite]

oops. I mean...

Examples here and here.
posted by heavenstobetsy at 9:22 AM on November 27, 2007

Each card will have a different picture, but the inside will be the same, ideally.
posted by heavenstobetsy at 9:25 AM on November 27, 2007

I find this to be the quintessential Xmas card sentiment: "Peace on Earth, and good will to all." It's a quote that satisfies the religious, but it's universal enough for even the most hardened athiest.

But it's not particularly witty . . . unless maybe you're Dick Cheney, who apparently suffered from some heart irregularities this weekend. Who knew he had a heart??
posted by deejay jaydee at 9:34 AM on November 27, 2007

I don't think one witty remark for a bunch of different photos is going to work that well; ideally, each inside-portion should have a verbal message that's specific to the card's outside-picture. Like for the second picture you linked to, you could send it to an alcoholic friend with the accompanying message "Here's hoping you don't fall off the wagon this year!"*

A one-size-fits-all message can really only reference two potentially-amusing data-points:

1) This is not my family
2) These are from the seventies

Honestly, I'd recommend a whole bunch of personalized messages, depending on each card's pictures.

*That is probably a terrible idea for a card, please don't do this.
posted by Greg Nog at 9:43 AM on November 27, 2007

Dear _____,

posted by deejay jaydee at 9:34 AM on Metafilter

Love,
heavenstobetsy
posted by iamkimiam at 9:45 AM on November 27, 2007 [1 favorite]

Seasons greetings from polyesteryear
Merry Christmas from the Me Decade to you
posted by TG_Plackenfatz at 10:58 AM on November 27, 2007

I think the perfect thing to write inside the card would be:

"1) This is not my family
2) These are from the seventies

Merry Christmas!"
posted by hermitosis at 11:23 AM on November 27, 2007

Or you could look here for inspiration.
posted by hermitosis at 11:25 AM on November 27, 2007

Kitsch Me Under the Mistletoe
Wishing You a Groovy Situation
posted by LDL_Plackenfatz at 11:27 AM on November 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Jesus!!!!!!

My favorite Christmas cards are absolutely tongue-in-cheek sassy and sacraligious.
posted by banannafish at 11:32 AM on November 27, 2007

I love this one.
posted by randomination at 4:01 AM on November 28, 2007 [1 favorite]

« Older Brother is going through a mes...   |  Help me with this mystery pain... Newer »