Getting very sleepy...
November 14, 2007 6:57 PM Subscribe
This morning, my boyfriend overslept for hours and hours - and woke up to the carbon monoxide detector going off. Now what?
posted by peachfuzz to home & garden (39 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
The detector's supposed to be sensitive to carbon monoxide and explosive gases. He lives in an old house, with tons of gas combustion-powered appliances - gas stove/range, water heater, furnace, (I think) dryer - and crappy ventilation. How does he pinpoint the source of the trouble? And what does he do in the meantime? Obviously, he's tried to get in touch with his landlord. I think he needs to clear out of there, starting tonight, and then start looking for a new place to live (this is the latest in a long line of issues with the property). Right? Or will he be, quote, "Fine with the windows open"?
(I think there's always been something fishy about that house. We both constantly feel groggy and weird in it - I notice it most, since I don't live there. When I stay there, I notice headaches a lot more frequently than I do at home. And we both get mysterious mild flus - general lethargy, malaise, fogginess - that just linger and linger. Invariably, he feels different - more energetic, clearer, less run-down - when he goes on vacation or travels or is even out of the house for a day (he works at home, and a lot of days he's in the house for 20 hours out of 24). Is this possibly long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide? It's never occurred to either of us that this is a possibility until now, but it sure would make sense.)
Anyway - he needs to Not. Sleep. There. For. Now. Yes?