Wait for Penryn-based Mac Pros or not?
November 5, 2007 8:27 PM Subscribe
Should I buy a new Mac Pro or wait for the Penryn version? Complications below the fold.
posted by unSane to computers & internet (21 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I really need to replace my dual 1G PowerMac G4.
I do a lot of powerhouse stuff... video editing and photo editing of huge (>1Gb) files so I think I have to go for a Mac Pro, rather than the top iMac which I think is going to be constricting in a couple of years' time. (I do a lot of time-consuming video conversion too... and like to multitask... so the more processors the better).
For technical reasons I need to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 fairly urgently, which won't run on my current machine.
The Mac Pro is now due for an update but the new Penryn-based version may not be out until Jan/Feb. It looks a lot faster.
So my options are:
1) Wait it out and don't upgrade. This could mean losing a big opportunity (I need FCS 2 to do something deeply cool which could net big rewards).
2) Buy an iMac and upgrade to the Penryn Mac Pro when it comes out
3) Buy the current Mac Pro
One final wrinkle: I'm in Canada and the Canadian pricing is all out of whack with the exchange rate. I suspect this will be rejigged on the next release of the Mac Pro.
Man, what a complicated, boring question. Any insights welcomed.