Why is Google's "My Maps" acting stupid?

Google's "My Maps" feature is doing very string things when I try to embed. Why?

I'm creating a custom map in Google Maps. Creating it works great; I can add markers, lines, and make it look perfect when in editing mode. But when I save the Map and embed it into a website, this happens:

-- All of the lines I've created do not show up when viewing the embedded version. Markers show up, but lines do not.
-- My Maps does not "remember" the zoom or focal point -- it always reverts back to the exact same point and zoom as when I created the map. This may not be a bug, but it's annoying nonetheless. So as my trip progresses across a continent, the embedded map always reverts back to the original view, even though I've moved the focal point or zoom to make up for the overlap. Grr!

I'm going on a month-long trip and I'd like to plot my course as I go and embed the map into a website so it's always up-to-date, but these bugs are really preventing me from doing that. Is there something I'm missing?
posted by nitsuj to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Uh. Google's "My Maps" feature is doing very strange things when I try to embed. Why?
posted by nitsuj at 4:44 PM on September 25, 2007

I should also note that I'm able to look at embedded maps not-my-own and see lines just fine.
posted by nitsuj at 4:58 PM on September 25, 2007

You probably need to put the page in XHTML "standards compliance" mode. Put this at the very beginning of every web page that has an embedded map:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml">

posted by cerebus19 at 5:36 PM on September 25, 2007

I got that from here, incidentally.
posted by cerebus19 at 5:37 PM on September 25, 2007

My lines are showing up now, but I think may have fixed it before trying that code. I noticed that when placing a new line, I wasn't hitting OK, but instead just naming it and then closing it with the "X". Closing it still made it show up in the editing mode, but hitting OK makes it show up when embedding.

Still no go on changing the zoom/focus. :(
posted by nitsuj at 6:59 PM on September 25, 2007

« Older Has NYC put an incorrect sign ...   |  A company sent me a letter abo... Newer »