Do you pee in the ocean? In lakes? Is that better or worse than peeing in the shower?

Another pee question: Do you pee in the ocean? In lakes? Is that better or worse than peeing in the shower? [empty]
posted by dame to Society & Culture (24 answers total)

Yes, yes I do. It's no better or worse to me than peeing in the shower, although perhaps some feel it's better, seeing how there's already tons of fish excrement in the water.
posted by punishinglemur at 6:50 PM on May 7, 2004

I typically don't, but I don't see the harm, given the proportions of the liquids involved.
Brings to mind a WC Fields quote: "Water? Never touch the stuff. Fish fuck in it."
posted by mote at 6:53 PM on May 7, 2004

1) Of course. 2) Of course. 3) Better.
AskMefi hits a new low.
posted by cbrody at 6:54 PM on May 7, 2004

Is this another poll?

Personally, No; No; -and- No opinion, others can do as they like ;-)

I think my subconscious logic goes like this: When you pee on dry land, you can see where it's going. But peeing in water causes the urine to immediately diffuse (isn't that a law of physics concerning one liquid introduced into another, especially when their specific gravities are very similar?), potentially coming right backatcha.

However, when I'm drunk, sometimes I like to pee outside. Makes me feel close to nature or something. And sometimes, after imbibing, I also feel the urge to piss on buildings or other man-made structures, 'cuz, you know, human civilization ain't such a great idea after all, and, like, hey! ..."piss on it all" often sums up my attitude quite tidily.

If I ask right now if there are any golden shower fetishists in the group here who gain sexual excitement and/or gratification from peeing on themselves and/or others, will it head off the next logical AskMe question at the pass?

Good night.
posted by Shane at 7:10 PM on May 7, 2004

ok, i once pooped in lake michigan.
posted by quonsar at 7:15 PM on May 7, 2004

It's considered poor taste to pee in creeks and such when you're hiking.
posted by five fresh fish at 7:36 PM on May 7, 2004

I'm surprised you didn't ask about swimming pools or hot tubs.
posted by beth at 7:38 PM on May 7, 2004

Does anyone pee in toilets?
posted by geoff. at 7:48 PM on May 7, 2004

Shane, now that you mention it, what's up with all the pee showing up in porn (at least heterosexual porn)? Here (or there) I am looking at some perfectly enjoyable porn and then—bam!—there's some woman peeing. I've asked several people about this in the last year or so, and no one has an explanation. One friend of mine said that she thought it was a general cultural phenomenon, not just porn. “Everywhere I go these days, there's more pee&rdquo, she said.

Okay, fine, I'm sorta used to it, but I'm hoping the trend stops there.

When I was in high school, a really attractive girl moved to town and became a cheerleader. But, as we got to know her better, everyone realized that whenever anyone went out partying and with her along, she'd always have to stop and pee by the car or something. Maybe she had a teensy bladder, though she was very ostentatious about it and not that enormously discreet, either. And even though I was an testosterone overloaded teenage boy, I thought it was way more weird than sexy. So, meh, on the water sports. But thanks for asking.
posted by Ethereal Bligh at 8:20 PM on May 7, 2004

i was that cheerleader.
posted by sgt.serenity at 9:24 PM on May 7, 2004

Also fun when drunk is peeing off really high locations. Just make you know where your friends are.
posted by cohappy at 11:39 PM on May 7, 2004

Don't pee in that place in South America with the parasite that seeks out heat and swims upstream through urine to attach itself into your urethra.
posted by thebigpoop at 1:38 AM on May 8, 2004

In general, oceans and lakes do not cope well with sewage, so filter your pee through sand or whatever they clean it with in the sewage facilities. Peeing in water should be avoided. That said, I pee in lakes sometimes, and even drink the same water.
posted by lazy-ville at 2:00 AM on May 8, 2004

If you spend any time in water around 50 degrees you will urinate. It's not just a way to warm the wetsuit. It is a way that your body regulates your temperature.

In general, oceans and lakes do not cope well with sewage, so filter your pee through sand or whatever they clean it with in the sewage facilities.

Huh? You're right that fecal matter isn't that great for the ocean but if you have any information about urine being harmful please let me know.
posted by rdr at 3:48 AM on May 8, 2004

rdr: Urine contains nutrients, particularly nitrogen, which is an important factor in the eutrophication of lakes, ponds and small seas.
posted by lazy-ville at 7:15 AM on May 8, 2004

That's because those are both clearly unacceptable.
posted by dame at 7:16 AM on May 8, 2004

It's a little known fact that sheep, cattle, and other wildlife, do not infact feel free to pee freely wherever they are, but harbour concern that their urea might somehow corrupt their natural environment, bringing about the end of times.

Man, is it urban environments making people stupid or something?

In nature, piss where thou wouldst.
posted by Blue Stone at 9:19 AM on May 8, 2004

Except where that little spiny cock-inhabiting fish lives, of course.
posted by Blue Stone at 9:20 AM on May 8, 2004

Except where that little spiny cock-inhabiting fish lives, of course....

Ah, the candiru. Read it and wince...
posted by dmt at 12:32 PM on May 8, 2004

No, don't piss just anywhere. Don't piss where people normally set up their tents, for instance. Don't piss in the creek. Don't piss right on the trail.
posted by five fresh fish at 1:26 PM on May 8, 2004

97% of piss is water, IIRC. Also, pissing on certain types of wounds can actually speed healing them. (No, I do *NOT* do that -- but it is a known fact that being urinated on after being stung by a jellyfish can help soothe and heal the wound).

A list of non-water components of urine. What, exactly, on that list, worries you?

Now consider that and tell me again, why the hell are you worried about pissing in a lake? Yeesh!
posted by shepd at 10:23 AM on May 9, 2004

One of the greatest pleasures I've had in the past 6 months was peeing in the sea at Mirissa in Sri Lanka. Stunning beach, crashing waves & that wonderful feeling of freedom being able to pee just standing there in my shorts. No worries about directing, splashing, drips or anything. Just like being a baby all over again ;-)

Maybe I need to stay in more...
posted by i_cola at 12:51 PM on May 9, 2004

I would just like to add that I am of the belief that pissing in the midst of nature is one of the joys of life, and may be a necessary component for good mental health.

To paraphrase FBI Agent Dale Cooper: urinating in the great outdoors is a wonderful thing.
posted by Blue Stone at 1:41 PM on May 9, 2004

shepd: read my previous comment. Urine contains nutrients that cause eutrophication. "In municipal wastewater, urine is the dominating source for the major agricultural nutrients nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, and holds 50% to 90% of these essential elements" From Nutrients in urine: energetic aspects of removal and recovery.
posted by lazy-ville at 4:16 AM on May 10, 2004

« Older It's all the cat's fault. I ha...   |  Anyone know of a good online g... Newer »