Can I throw a beach house wedding?
August 30, 2007 1:25 PM Subscribe
I've looked on the knot, wedding channel and googled, but I haven't found quite what I'm looking for. My fiance and I have an idea for a beach house wedding and reception, but we don't know if it's feasible with our guest list and budget. I thought maybe some mefites have done something similar.
posted by bananafish to society & culture (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
So we've guestimated the number of attendants to be 60 adults and 6 children under the age of three. I think it could be smaller because most of the guests are coming either from Ohio or Virginia and may not want to travel to South Carolina (where the beach house would be).
Our idea is to rent a seven bedroom house right on the beach in Hilton Head near my fiance's parents (approximately $4,000) with a pool and a patio. We like the idea of having a low-key beach house party where people can take a dip in the pool or the ocean rather than a traditional reception. In the spirt of keeping everything low-key we'd have catered bbq. We'd rent a tent to keep the sun off of everyone and for rain. Beer, wine, and sodas we'd get from Costco or some place similar.
Here are my questions:
1. Can this number of people fit comfortably in a seven bedroom house for a reception?
2. We'd like to rent a dance floor. Will having just an ipod work or do we need a dj? I've seen the thread about having an ipod at the reception. It seems like a good idea -- our concern is about how to keep the music going all night and keeping people encouraged to dance.
3. In the event of a real downpour -- could you feasibly have the wedding inside the house with this many guests?
4. Our budget is about $13,000 - can this be done on this type of budget?
5. I'll need to plan from across the country -- am I crazy for trying something this complicated?
6. Is there anything that will make this especially difficult that I'm not thinkingof?
Thanks for your help!