What should I do with my life?
August 4, 2007 9:21 AM Subscribe
I need help figuring out how to shift my career into something I will love. Right now I am a technical writer, but after some deep thought I have realized that there are a few specific things that make me unsatisfied with this work.
posted by dumbledore69 to Work & Money (15 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
Right now I am a technical writer and have been in this position for almost 2 years now. I love the company I work for, and the position I am in is one I had wanted for awhile prior. I actually have a BS in Technical Writing as well.
I am good at what I do, which is writing manuals for end-users of my company's software products. However, lately I have found it increasingly hard to concentrate and have to argue with myself to get stuff done.
I realized that maybe this just isn't the field for me. The three things that make me sort of depressed about it are:
1) Not enough active interaction with other people. In past positions, I had always enjoyed being a part of a team, bouncing ideas off of each other, etc. Now I just feel like an outsider ... I will spend some time with one team to learn their product, and then go to document it. It's very, very lonely.
2) Not enough problem solving. My favorite thing to do, the thing that thrills me to no end, is to identify and work on solving a problem of some sort. I suppose you could make an argument that technical writing solves information/documentation problems, but it's not an urgent enough or satisfying enough problem to solve. I will easily and cheerfully work my ass off when I'm trying to resolve a problem with some urgency.
3) I'm pretty much invisible. My boss appreciates me greatly, I know, as do some of the project managers. But overall, I feel like a very unimportant cog in my company. I used to, when I worked in the customer service dept, feel indispensible, like people relied on me. I find it very hard to worry about letting people down at this point because people rarely think much about the documentation.
So... what should I do with my life? What can I start doing in my current position to prepare me for a shift towards a career that will make me feel more satisfied. Or what can I do to make myself enjoy my current position more?
My overall plan is to:
(1) Find something I would love to do.
(2) Continue in my current position doing the best I can, and try to take on some extra responsibilities that might relate to my future goal. Also maybe try to do some work on the side that might apply to my future career path.
(3) Once I have developed a good portfolio & have done some more professional development, I'd like to start applying for different positions within my company or if none are available , then outside of my company.
I could really use your help in deciding what I should be doing with my life!
Here's what I'm good at:
Problem solving, dealing with difficult people, working in a team, leading a team, writing, presenting, identifying problems, solving problems, brainstorming, and while I am not a programmer, I am able to learn about highly technical things quickly for the purpose of writing or explaining.
Here's what I'm not good at:
Selling things, Traveling a lot (makes me cranky!), Number crunching, Being on the phone 24/7, actual programming.
I would love any advice. Thanks so much!