Black widow or no?
July 20, 2007 11:12 PM Subscribe
Black widow or no? (Sorry, no photo -- phone was dead, so couldn't take a pic. But perhaps some of you spider buffs can help me out nevertheless.)
posted by scody to science & nature (17 answers total)
Earlier tonight, I killed (please no lectures about killing spiders - my boyfriend's dog is in the house and will eat such things) what I thought might be a black widow, but based on what I've been reading, some of the characteristics have me a bit unsure. Perhaps it was a juvenile or male black widow, or perhaps another species entirely?
- about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long (which seems on the small size?)
- glossy, jet black (which seems typical)
- abdomen not hugely bulbous -- more oval-shaped (which doesn't seem typical)
- definite orange marking (which seems typical, even if red is more common), but on the back, not underside (which doesn't seem typical)
- all legs of even length (which doesn't seem typical)
We live in L.A.; my boyfriend says he sees nests of them pretty often outside at night when he's walking the dog, but never indoors (this was in his bathroom -- he's at work so wasn't around to ID it). How freaked out should we be?