Xebian is not behaving

Nowhere else to ask this filter: I have a xbox Debian (Xebian) xbox and it has (had) a raid drive of two 300GB drives. But now for some reason it got a bunch of errors and I can't get it up and running again.

I have two NAS' made out of xBoxes, one that gives me trouble and one that doesn't. In this one I lost a HDD and replaced it with another one which was somewhat old. I reinstalled Xebian freshly and got everything going, and used MDADM to make a linear RAID out of the 299GB (300-1GB for system) and the other 300GB. It worked okay and I proceeded to load ~ 100GB onto it. However now that I restarted it the /dev/md0 can no longer be mounted. I tried reformatting and it worked, ran badblocks, and now when I restart it doesn't work.

It appears as if each time "dev/md0" does not have any superblocks (this is the error I am consistantly getting. I am not sure why it continually forgets that there are MD blocks or that it's formatted.

Could it be the new HDD I put in? If I put a totally new, sparkling one would it fix this error?

This is what I do to create the RAID
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=linear --raid-devices=2 /dev/hdb1 /dev/hda3
then I format it to ext3.
posted by Napierzaza to Computers & Internet (1 answer total)

Linear RAID just sounds like asking for trouble, to me, especially on a NAS. Have you looked into using LVM instead?
posted by flabdablet at 7:29 PM on July 16, 2007

« Older Cable TV Movie filter...   |  I'm a new ABA therapist, and t... Newer »